New Jersey State Sectional Championships
Bennett Athletic Center, Toms River, NJ
February 5- 8, 2009
Day 1 - North 1 & North 2 Group I Boys and Girls
Day 2 - Central & South Group I Boys and Girls
Day 3 - North 1 & North 2 Group 2, 3 & 4 Boys and Girls
Day 4 - Central & South Group 2,3,4 Boys and Girls
From William Baxter
200 meter flat Mondo
North 1 Boys Highlights
North 1 Girls Highlights
- Randolph's Wilson Martinez anchors in 52.3 to rally Randolph to first in the 4x400 relay, 3:33.13 to 3:13.85, to give Randolph a thrilling 63-62 win over West Orange for the Group 4 title.
- Randolph's Ali Hashemi equals meet mark in Group 4 pole vault (12-6) and teammate Adrian Sedestrom takes second (10-6).
- Taro Shigenobu of Ridgewood doubled in the distances with a Group 4 meet records of 4:28.67 in the 1,600 and a 9:46.58 in the 3,200.
- Aeron Gilson won the 400 in a meet reord 50.66 and anchored the record breaking 4x400 (3:31.59) with a 50.2 split to lead Mount Olive to the Group 3 crown, 39.60 to 32.20 over runner-up Teaneck.
- Morris Hills received meet record performances from Liam Tansey in the 800 (1:59.31), Vinny Chiusano in the 1,600 (4:30.39), Sean Pohorence in the 3,200 (9:53.95) and Eddie McClain in the shot put (54-6) en route to its second straight group 2 title, 86 1/2 -41 1/2-0 over River Dell.
- Chris Mallory-Hughes blazed a meet record 6.70 in the 55 dash and was second in the high jump (5-6) and Dave Oster was second in the 1,600 and 3,200 and fourth in the 800 to key Verona's 48 1/2-45 win over Dover.
- Klancy Ramirez won the 400 (53.25), was second in the 55 dash and split 52.4 on Dover's winning 4x400 that ran a meet record 3:36.67.
- DJ Puleo of Pasack Hills won the 1.600 in a meet record 4:34.70 and the 800 in 2:06.13.
- Rob Albano of Pequannock ran 9:54.86 to shave nearly eight seconds off the meet record in the 3,200.
- Randolph's Joelle Amaral grabs double gold in the 1,600 in 5:21.03 and 800 (2:22.65), teammate Natalie Anthony wins tthe 3,200 in a meet recod 11:22.55 and Briana Feldhaus blasts an 8.47 win in the hurdles to spark their team to the Group 4 title, 96-49 over runner-up Clifton. Feldhaus also ran a leg on the fourth-place 4x400 and was fifth in the 55 dash. Amaral added a leg on the 4x400.
- Tori Berard ran a meet record 11.21.84 in the 3,200 and was second in the 1,600 (5:10.89) and Taylor Furman won the 55 hurdles (8.92) and took third in the shot put to lead Morris Knolls to the Group 3 title, 43-41 1/4 over Old Tappan.
- Ariann Neutts of Roxbury broke meet Group 3 records in the 800 (2:18.24) and 1,600 (5:06.71).
- Westwood picked up wins from Carolyn Edler in the pole vault (10-0), Kirtsen Bowens in the 55 hurdles in a meet record 8.87 and from Allie Richards in the high jump (5-2) to key a 60-51 win over Morris Hills.
- Rita Taste of Bloomfield takes first in the Group 4 55 dash (7.49) and second in the 55 hurdles (8.62)
- Ceili Brennan wins the 1,600 in a meet record 5:34.36 and gets second in the 800 (2:25.83), and Teresa Gagliostro wins the 3,200 in a meet record 12:02.43 to spark the Westwood to a 63-39 win over runner-up Verona. in Group 1 .
- Verstalie senior Mia Riley takes first in the 55 dash in a meet record 7.65, wins the shot put with a 36-5 1/4, and anchors sixth-place 4x400 to lead the Caldwell girls to third place with 33 points.
- Julieanne Fontana of Pascack Hills repeated as champion in the 400 (1:01.78) and the 800 with a meet recod 2:25.10
North 2 Boys Highlights
- First-year runner Jon Jackson celebrates 18th birthday by winning the 800 (2:01.68), taking second in the 1,600 (4:29.75) and anchoring the runner-up 4x400 to lead Union to the Group 4 title, 52-45 over runner-up Franklin.
- Stephon Knox of Plainfield shattered meet records in the Group 4 55 hurdles with a NJ #5 7.60 and the 55 dash in a NJ #2 6.55.
- Plainfield's Isaiah Gill, the Meet of Champions 400 winner last spring, broke the Group 4 record in the 400 with a NJ #2 49.74.
- Terry Anderson of Columbia cleared 6-6 to tie the Group 4 record in the high jump and ran a leg on the meet record breaking 4x400 (3:27.30).
- Josh Evans blazed a NJ season best US #9 and meet record 7.49 in the hurdles, won the high jump at 6-0, and ran on winning 4x400 relay to spark Irvington to its second straight Group 3 title, 78-59 1/2 over Morristown. Evans' nephew, Rashon Evans smoked a meet record 6.55 in the 55 dash, and Wilverson Baptiste won the 400, took second in 55 and led off relay in 51.7.
- Rahway used 1-2 finishes in the 400 and 55 hurdles and a distance double from Curtis Johnson to roll to the Group 2 crown, 98 1/2-42 1/2 over Gov. Livingston. North Jersey, Section 2 title. Johnson won the 1,600 in 4:31.87 and came from way back over the final 100 meters to win the 800 in 2:04.23. Ricky Draughn won the 400 for Rahway in a meet record 51.11, and Pierre Darisme took the hurdles in a meet record 7.63.
- Junior Justin Amezquita of Gov. Livingston took over the state lead in the pole vault when he cleared a meet record and personal best 14-9 to win the North Jersey, Section 2 Group 2 title.
- State X-C champion and FL finalist champion Tyler Udland of Millburn sprints past Ryan Savercool of Mendham to win the Group 3 1,600 in meet record 4:24.71 and holds off Savercool to win 3,200, 9:41.37 to 9:41.47.
- David Cariello, recenlty back from a hamstrong injury,cleared a meet record 14-0 to win the pole vault, and Nick Vena broke the meet mark in the shot put with a 62-3 1/4 for Morristown.
- Alex McGee broke the meet record by winning the high jump (6-0) and grabbed gold in the 55 dash (6.85), Mike Fritz led a 1-2-3 sweep for his team in the 55 hurdles in 8.28, and Donnyell Bourgeois won the shot put (45-0) to lift the Whippany Park to an 87-40 win over runner-up Bernards in Group 1.
- Garrett Barbalinardo of Glen Ridge won the Group 1 400 (52.15) and 800 (2:04.80), both meet records, and ran a 52.8 on the fifth-place 4x400.
North 2 Girls Highlights
- Briana Barlow of New Brunswick wins battle of state's top hurdlers from last spring, running a Group 3 meet record 8.35 to edge Azudei DuBois of Irvington (8.47). Barlow, the Meet of Champions 100 HH champion last June, also takes down the 55 dash record (7.21).
- Dana Guglielmo (5:07.28 1,600) and Amanda Gracia (2:22.70 in the 800) break Group 3 records, and Rhea Phippswon the shot put (33-5 3/4) to key Ridge's repeat title in Group 3, 65-43 over Mendham.
- FL finalsit Lanie Thompson wins the 1,600 in a meet record 5:09.91, the 3,200 in 11:12.50 and ran on the winning 4x400 in 4:11.78, Samantha Yeats cleared a meet record 5-4 to win the high jump, and Kari Shooolbraid captured the 800 with a meet record 2:20.94 and ran on the relay to spark Voorhees to its second straight Group 2 title, 77.37-50 over runner-up Hanover Park.
- FL finalist Laura Vigilante of Mendham wins Group 3 3,200 in meet record 11:03.96
- Columbia's Kelsey Jackson (59.27) outduels Brigitte Mania of Hunterdon Central (59.38) as both go under the former Group 4 400 record. Columbia also receives a meet record win from Jasmine Carter in the 55 dash (7.36), personal best victory from Melissa David in the 1,600 (5:22.98), a win in the high jump from Brittney Jackson (5-2), and a meet record in the 4x400 (4:04.80) on the way to an 89-61 win over Hunterdon Central.
- Mania came back to win the 800 in a meet record 2:19.86 and split 59.8 on the third-place 4x400.
- Jr. Kristin Smoot stikes gold four times, breaking meet records in the 400 (1:00.33) and 800 (2:25.29), anchoring the meet record 4x400 (4:17.39) with a 61.4 split, and winning the 55 dash (7.65) to lead the Bernards to a 129-51 1/2 victory over defending champion Madison in Group 1.
- Mallory Anderson of Madison, running with a high fever, still won the 1,600 for the second straight year in a meet record 5:21.99, and was second in the 800 in 2:27.71.
Central Boys Highlights
- Soph. Jim Rosa grabs golds in the 1,600 (4:20.88) and 3,200 (9:24.89) to lead West Windsor North to Group 3 title, 88-59 1/4 over Jackson Liberty.
- Ryan Spadola takes gold in the 400 (50.61), anchored the meet record 4x400 (3:28.04) with a 49.7 split and placed fourth in the 55 dash to key Freehold Township's 66-45 win over Old Bridge in Group 4.
- Rolston Braithwaite of Trenton breaks Group 4 55 hurdle record in 7.58.
- Julian Fensterheim win the 1,600 in meet record 4:26.17 (after Nick Lachman of Robbinsville is DQ'ed for running off the track) and takws third in the 800 and runs a leg on the 4x400 to lead Metuchen to 2nd straight Group 1 title, 63-56, over runner-up Shore Regional.
- Lachman came back to win the 3,200 in a meet recod 9:58.26.
- Shore Reg. scored 42 points in the field events with a 1-2-3 in the shot out adn 1-2 in the high jump to rally for second place.
- Freshman Zamir Thomas of Snyder wins the 400 in a meet record 51.79, gets second in th 55 dash and runs on winning 4x400 (3:31.24).
Central Girls Highlights
- Sophia Ginez's sizzling distance triple sparks South Brunswick to a 59-48 win over runner-up Marlboro in Group 4. Ginez won the 1,600 in 5:11.14, the 800 in 2:18.69 and the 3,200 in a NJ #1 10:59.59.
- Freshman sensation A'Jee Wilson of Neptune won the Group 3 1,600 in a meet record 5:10.37, the 800 in a meet record 2:17.91, and split 59.2 on the meet record setting 4x400 (4:07.06).
- West Windsor-Plainsboro South goes 1-2-4 in the 3,200 and secojnd in the 4x400 to rally fora 65 1/2-61 win over Neptune in Group 3.
- Hopewell Valley blitzes the Group 2 field for second straight title as Julie Alexander wins 400 in a meet record 57.53, Emily Kianka takes the high jump (5-6), Clare Buck captures the 1,600 (5:16.65) and 800 (2:21.50), and Shayne Hughes takes down meet record in the the 55 HH (8.52).
- Ada Unachukwu of Marlboro takes down her own Group 4 400 record with a 58.51 and anchors runner-up 4x400 with a 59.0 anchor. .
- State shot put leader Shannon Watt of Jackson repeats in Group 4 with a throw of 42-11. Watt unloaded her NJ #1/US #9 throw of 44-2 1/2 at the Rebel Shot Put Series this past Wednesday..
- Jr. Megan Flynn smashed two meet records, the 1,600 (5:17.33) and the 3,200 (11:23.27), to lead Robbinsville to a 73 1/2 to 63 win over runner-up Shore Regional in Group 1. Amber Scott won the 55 hurdles for Robbinsville in a meet record 8.46 and was second in the 55 dash.
- Cameo Kirk of Shore broke the Group 1 400 record (59.23), won the 800 (2:24.86) and brought her team from third to first in the 4x400 with a 58.7 anchor.
South Boys Highlights
- Damiere Byrd of Timber Creek scorches the track with a NJ state sophomore record, NJ all-time #15 and US #11 6.39 in Group 3. Byrd broke the state sophomore mark of 6.48 set by the legendary Dennis Mitchell of Edgewood in 1982.
- David Forward of Shawnee broke meet records in the Group 3 1,600 (4:21.12) and the 3,200 (9:38.90).
- Tivo Rivera (2:00.44) and Ryan Culbreath (2:01.85) go 1-2 in the 800 and Jared Sharp wins high jump (6-2) to lift Kingsway to a 65 1/2 -62 win over Timber Creek in Group 3.
- Xavier Fraction wins the 800 (1:57.95), the 1,600 in a meet record 4:26.05m and runs on the winning 4x400 relay (3:28.22) to lead Washington to a 71-33 rout over runner-up Southern.
- Three vaulters go over 14-0 with 2008 outdoor M of C winner Chris Wyckoff of Toms River East winning on misses with a meet record 14-6. Greg Kelley of Toms River North also goes 14-6, and Vince Maggio of Southern is third at 14-0.
- Tim Carey of Washington broke the Group 400 record in a NJ #2 49.64.
- Ali Ejaz won the 400 (52.91), Charles Hicks captured the high jump (5-6), James Brown finished first in the 55 dash in a meet record 6.52, and Marjan Smith was first in the shot put (48-6) to steer Glassboro to a 110-97 win over Haddonfield in Group 1.
- Colin Baker of Haddonfield broke meet records in the 800 (2:00.77) and in the 1,600 (4:24.38).
South Girls Highlights
- Jill Smith scores a hot quadruple, winning the 1,600 in meet record 5:02.19, the 800 (2:17.35), the 3,200 in a meet record 11:08.04 and anchors the winning 4x400 with a 57.9 split to lead Southern to 75 3/4-58 3/4 win over Millville.
- Michelle Brown takes first in the 400 in meet record 57.10, the 55 dash in 7.46 and splits 58.9 on winning 4x400 (4:06.78) to key Seneca's 85-61 win over Kingsway in Group 3.
- FL finalist Chelsea Ley of Kingsway wins 3,200 (11:11.80) and 1,600 in meet record 5:11.24.
- Nijgia Snapp of Oakcrest, the defending M of C indoor 400 winner, ripped a meet record 56.02 to win the group 4 two lapper.
- Greta Feldman won the 400 (59.27) and the 800 in a meet record 2:19.92 and ran a leg on the winning 4x400 (4:14.18) and Lizzy Sikkema broke meet records in the 1,600 (5:18.97) and the 3,200 (11:39.95) to ignite Haddonfield's 130 1/3 to 51 1/3 victory over runner-up Haddon Heights in Group 1.
- Jackie Sikkema, Lizzy's twin, was second for Haddonfield in the 1,600 (5:22.95) and 3,200 (11:48.82)
Thursday, February 5, 2009 North 1 & North 2 Group I boys and girls, 4 p.m.
Friday, February 6, 2009 Central & South Group I boys and girls, 4 p.m.
Saturday, February 7, 2009 North 1 & North 2 Group 4 boys and girls, 8 a.m.
Saturday, February 7, 2009 North 1 & North 2 Group 3 boys and girls, 1 p.m.
Saturday, February 7, 2009 North 1 & North 2 Group 2 boys and girls, 6 p.m.
Sunday, February 8, 2009 Central & South Group 4 boys and girls, 8 a,m.
Sunday, February 8, 2009 Central & South Group 3 boys and girls, 1 p.m.
Sunday, February 8, 2009 Central & South Group 2 boys and girls, 6 p.m.