Date sent:        Mon, 9 Jun 1997 12:41:06 -0400

Send reply to:    [email protected]

From:             Patrick Hoffman

To:               [email protected]

Subject:          Mass HS Results - Riley, Mohamud, Powell

I'm posting this for John Molvar, and will forward any results to him.

I'm also posting this to t-and-f and coach-net, and the reason is this,

I agree with Fred Finke that the two lists should be separated, however,

as I mentioned before t-and-f is the only list archived in a way

that every article is available from the web. (on net or internet)

     gopher://ftp.gac.edu:70/11/pub/E-mail-archives/t-and-f

The above site will let you see current posts, and has the last 4 years

compressed.   Fred, when we get someone to archive coach-net, for ftp

or web access I will keep the posts separate....

		Now for the Action....

At the Mass HS State Meet, the distance races were the highlights as

expected

featuring Jon Riley, Ad Mohmaed and Andy Powell.  Their races were

exciting

but perhaps the biggest story was the emergence of yet another star

Massachusetts distance runner by the name of Tristan Colangelo.  Even the

elite only list members that get so annoyed by these pesky HS posts that

flood this list for 3 weeks in late Spring would be advised to remember

the

name Tristan Colangelo.

2 mile:  With Powell, Riley and Mohamed running the shorter distances,

North

Middlesex's jr Scott Estabrooke ran away from the field in a smooth even

paced 9.24.

880 yards:  Thats right, the meet's featured event was contested at 880

yards

because the meet was held at an outated facility with only 6 lanes (very

long

meet) with the old style surface, tiny dilapidated stands that ended 30

yards

short of the finish line, inadequate parking, etc.  At last week's Class

meet, Riley started his kick too late and finished 3rd behind Footlocker

champ Mohamed and Rich Rogers of New Bedford.  Riley was admittedly

nervous

before that race, but before this one he was relaxed and joking.

Apparently

feeling left out of the "big race" super soph Andy Powell who was in the

mile

joined the 880 runners at the check in location.  No less than 6 runners

with

PRs of 1.55 or better lined up and the slowest seeded runner took them out

in

a blazing 52 with Mohamed hanging (too?) close.  This "rabbit" faded to

last.

Riley got jostled at the start just like at Penn and was way back.  Riley

gradually worked his way back and caught Mohamed in the stretch and passed

him with 70 yards to go.  Before the race the experts were evenly split on

who would win, but after Mohamed aggressively jumped out to lane 2 to go

after Riley, nearly everyone thought he would win, but Riley held on to

win

in 1.52.9 with Mohamed second in 1.53.1 and a tough Rogers taking 3rd in

1.53.  Rogers is headed to Cal-Riverside where I think another pretty good

runner by the name of Morcelli ran.  With Mohamed (800) and Riley (mile)

headed to the Nationals, Rogers will be one of the favorites to win next

week's New England HS 800. (Editors note 1:52.18 for 800 meters)

Mile:  All season Powell was aiming for this race against Riley and

possibly

Mohamed.  It never happened as both of them opted for the 880.  Therefore

Powell will have to wait till next week at the Nationals.  Look for a

preview

on this list for that big mile in a couple of days from my brother Phil.

Without serious competition, Powell used this race and last week's Class

meet

for experiments.  Last week he experimented to see how fast he could

finish

off a slow pace (2.21) and he closed with a 2.02 last 880 for a 4.23.

This

week was a more exciting experiment.  He would see how he could hold up to

an

early sub four pace.  Powell went out in 28, 59 and then ran another 28

passing 660 yards in 1.27 (3.52 pace!).  Yes he faded badly, but it was

fun

to watch and the crowd was screaming with everyone on their feet after the

first 220, which I have never seen in 23 years of State Meets.  He hit the

half in 1.59.9 and then 3.06 and was forced to jog in with a time of 4.15.

He missed Riley's meet record by 2.5 seconds but has 2 years to do it and

suddenly it appears he may have company right here in Massachusetts.

Behind

Powell, yet another precocious distance runner emerged dramaticaly.  He is

14

year old freshman Tristan Colangelo (Italian forefathers) from the tough

blue

collar fishing community of Gloucester.  Unfortunately few understood the

significance of the performanc, even fewer actually saw it because of

Powell's thrilling experiment and even fewer expected it.  I personally

only

saw the last 70 yards of his race but I won't forget it.  With a savage

kick

he caught Mike O'Rourqe and Riley's training partner Matt Hebert for

second

with a time of 4.22.  This time better's Powell's freshman time by 3

seconds

and he has one race left at the New Englands.  Next fall he will be

coached

by Dave Dunsky whose teams have won 3 consecutive state XC titles.

Gloucester runners typically show dramatic improvement from Outdoor track

XC under Dunsky's intense program.  Couple that with the fact that

Colangelo

is starting from (4.22) and the usual dramatic improvement from age 14 to

15,

and it adds up to a major XC force.  If Powell and Mohamed (defending

footlocker National Champ) are going to contend for the National XC title

next year, they will have to get by Colangelo first.

4X880:  Colangelo wasn't done yet.  He anchored his team in the relay from

third to victory with a 1.58.  That win clinched the team title for

Gloucester.  Riley and Powell both were fatigued from their earlier races,

both got the baton way behind the leaders, both went out way too fast,

both

faded then eased up.  Riley was 1.57 and Powell was 1.59.

John Molvar

		Here are some Boys results ( watch out for ocr

scanning errors) ...by Pat Hoffman

           I will send the girls when I clean up some spelling

 100 meter -

1. Jonathan Wimston, Brockton,10.75;

2. Kyle Rudolph, Ashland, 11.04;

3. John Lemire, Central Catholic, 11.06;

4. Jason Baker, Attleboro, 11.26;

5. Mike Wray. Chicopee. 11.28;

6. Robert Keefe, Dracut, 11.34.

 120 high hurdles -

1. Arthur Frgusson, Gloucester, 14.53;

2. Luke Matters, Nomood, 14.58;

3. Mark Jellison, Reading, 15.20;

4. Shaun DeGraceGreater New Bedford. 15.22;

5 Peter Ellis, Andover, 15.27;

6. Tim Shaw, Monument Mountain, 15.56.

 220 dash -

1. George Riley, Hyde Park, 22.89;

2. Jayson femaner, Glwcester, 23.10;

3. Hakeem Springer. Brockton, 23.12;

4. Matt Jodoin, Ipswich, 23.14;

5. Kenny Uzogara, Lexington, 23.15;

6. Matt Warren, Randolph, 24.26.

 440 dash -

1. Andy Alsup, Haverhill, 49.32;

2. Marc Sylvander, Chicopee. 49.36;

3. Adrian Worrell, Cambridge R&L 49.66;

4. Alex Schindelar, Sharon, 49.81;

5. Bryan Stanislaus, Sharon, 49.82;

6. Maximo Minaya, Methuwn, 50.62.

 880 dash -

1. Jonathon Riley, Brookline, 1:52.97;

2. AWiri~ak Mohamud, Boston English, 1:53.49;

3. Rich Rogers, New Bedford, 1:53.65;

4. Bill Spierdowis, Foxb~o, 1:54.67;

5. Bryce Kelly, Newton South, 1:56.56;

6. John Jones, Miltan, 1:57.45.

 Mile -

1. Andy Powell, Oliver Ames. 4:15.0;

2. Tristan Colangelo, Gloucester, 4:22.44;

3. Matt Hebert Brookline, 4:22.7;

4. Mike O'Rourke, Braintree, 4:24.06;

5. Justin Wilson, Weston, 4:24.28;

6. Ryan Kenigan. Bridgewater-Raynham, 4:24.80.

 2 mile -

1. Scott Estabrook, North Middlesex 9:26.17;

2. Dave Patterson. Amherst, 9:34.49;

3. Timothy Campbell, Holyoke Catholic, 9:34.95;

4. Ben Wessenyeleh, O'Blyant. 9:39.66;

5. Nathan Buttrick, Beverly, 9:42.08;

6. Tyler Bloom, Westford Academy, 9:45.34.

 330 hurdles -

1. Yusef White, New Bedford, 38.67;

2. Kevin Worrell, Milton, 39.18;

3. Marc Patillo, Northampton, 39.60;

4. Greg Devine, Springfield Central, 39.66;

5. Scott Farley, Mount Greylock. 59.99;

6. Mad hoons. 40.34.

 High jump -

1. Phil McGagain, Agawam, 6-8;

2. Greg Clark, East Boston, 6-6;

3. Chris Bums, Lowell, 6-4;

4. Mad Booth, Falmouth. 6-4;

5. Leon Denton, Milton. 6-4;

6. Craig Midcarz, Sakm, 6-4.

 Long jump -

1. Mark Jellison, Reading, 22-6;

2. Ben Higgins, Martha's Vineyard. 22-2.5;

3. Yusef White, New Bedford, 21-7.5;

4. Samson German Somerville, 21-6;

5. Joh Provonost, Chicopee, 21-3;

6. Raasan Fuller, Weston, 21-0.

 Triple jump -

1. McGdgain. 47-6.75

2. Otis Wilson. Monument Mountain, 46-5.75;

3. Ferguson, 46-1;

4. Worrell, 44-10;

5. Jared Carpenter, Newton North, 43-7.75;

6. Matt Cronan, Millis, 43-5.25.

 Discus-

1. David Puloka, Arlington, 173-4;

2. Steve Anderson. Oakmont. 162-1;

3. Dave Stec Chicopee, 151-5;

4. Tarek Hamid, Arlington. 149-4;

5. Jon Bombach. Tewksbury. 149-3;

6. Mad Muench. Andover. 143-11.

 Javelin -

1. Jess Austin, North Attleboro, 203-8;

2. Dan Bresnahan. Central Catholic, 198-07;

3. Derek Vater, Haverhil, 197-4;

4. Lwis Marcoux, Methuen, 196-10;

5. Jim Finn, North Quincy, 176-4;

6. Paul Roberts, Northampton. 171-2.

 Shot put -

1. Josh Bender, Old Rochester, 59-8.25;

2. Delsin GNbbs, Reading, 58-4.5;

3. Michael CMdeiro, Dartmouth;

4. James Rooney, Carver, 55-5.25;

5. Jeff Chakwian. Seekonk. 53-2.5;

6. Jim Hollerm, Wobum, 52-4.

 4X110 relay-

1. Brockton, 42.56; 2. Central

Catholic, 43.3; 3. New Bedford. 44.26; 4. Glouces-

ter, 44.27 ; 5. Milton, 44.31; 6. Attleboro, 44.69.

  4x400 relay -

1. New Bedford, 3:24.29;

2. Brockton. 3:25.04;

3. Milton. 3:25.55;

4. BC High, 3:28.49;

5. St. John's, 3:30.25;

6. Longmeadow, 3:31.19.

 4x800 relay -1. Gloucester. 8:07.66; 2. St.

John's Rep, 8:09.56; 3. Sharon, 8:10.85; 4. Wo-

burn, 8:17.0; 5. Brookline, 8:17.16; 6. Methuen,

8:18.87.

           Team results

  1. Gloucester, 46; 2. New Bedford. 38; 3.

 Brockton. 34; 4. Reading, 24; 5. Milton. 22.5; 6.

 Central Catholic, 22; 6. Brookline, 22; 8. Agawam,

 20; 9. Havehill, 16; 9. Chicopee. 16; 11. Ar)ing-

 ton, 14; 12. Sharon, 12; 13. Andover. 11.

About DyeStat | High School USA | DyeStat HomePage | Links | MPSSAA | Records | Results | Schedule | Scholar | Search | Train | Views | Youth |

This document is maintained by [email protected]
Material Copyright � 1997 John Dye

This Web site is maintained by DyeStat Track and Field
John Dye [email protected]

301-293-2601 (voice or fax), 11117 Church Hill Rd., Myersville MD 21773
Material Copyright 1998-1999