HOME US News States

National High School Track and Field Coaches Association Information

National High School Track and Field Coaches Association Information

I am forwarding you our latest memo concerning the National High School Track Coaches Association. If you have not joined please join today. The organization is growing fast.

We would like to include you in our coaches directory, therefore you will receive o form and application for membership.

Hope to hear from you .

Jimmy Carnes

Executive Director

National Track Coaches Association

1330 NW 6th Street

Suite C-1

Gainesville, FL 32601

Phone: 352-336-6915

Fax: 352-37-8879

e-mail: [email protected]

enclosure:
Memo Dated 9/1/2003 http://www.ustrackcoaches.org/emailpages/MEMORANDUM_9-1-2003.htm
Introduction Memo http://www.ustrackcoaches.org/emailpages/Memo_I_NHSTCA_3-31-2003.htm
Directory Info http://www.ustrackcoaches.org/emailpages/Coaches_Directory_High_School.htm
Membership application http://www.ustrackcoaches.org/Web/Membership/NHSTCA_application.htm

MEMORANDUM March 31, 2003

To: High School Track & Field Coaches

From: Jimmy Carnes, Executive Director

Re: National High School Track Coaches Association

At the recent U.S. Track & Field Convention held in Kansas City, a group of high school track coaches met with the United States Track Coaches Association and created the National High School Track Coaches Association. This organization will be an affiliate of the USTCA, the same as the organization's other affiliates: NCAA Div I, II, III, NAIA and Junior Colleges. It will have its own officers and board of directors. The purpose will be to communicate on a regular basis over the Internet, promote track & field and allow high school coaches a vote and voice in USA Track & Field. Any divisional fees collected by the USTCA go directly to the division treasurer.

Our plans are to have a similar organization for high schools. The National High School Track Coaches Association (NHSTCA) will be made up of members from each state that chooses to become involved. The NHSTCA will be given a position on the USTCA Board of Directors and will be a fully participating member organization within the United States Track Coaches Association. Each state will be allowed to select five state representatives to attend the yearly convention. And, every member would be a delegate with voting rights at the convention.

Our nation's high schools have 1.2 million boys and girls who participate in track & field and cross country. This is the greatest development program in the world, which provides our colleges and universities with great athletes who can go on to make an Olympic track team. Outside of their individual state coaching associations, high school coaches do not have a vote or voice in the operations of our great sport. This needs to change.

The United States Track & Field Federation (USATF) is the governing body of our sport. The delegates to this organization are responsible for national and international competitions, including the Olympics. High School Coaches need to be delegates to the USATF national convention, which is where the primary decisions regarding these teams are made. At this time, the USTCA is lobbying USA Track & Field to allow the NHSTCA to select delegates to the convention and to the men's and women's track & field committees. We would like to have representatives from each state.

The creation of a National High School Track Coaches Association has been tried before. Why will it work now?

Ø The United States Track Coaches Association is a viable organization with over 5000 members willing to assist in the creation this needed organization.

Ø The Internet now provides us with a communication tool that was not available in the past. We can send a broadcast email to our members and we have a website, which we can use to keep our members informed.

Ø USA Track & Field now has a Coaches Advisory Committee with an opening for a high school representative.

Ø We have tremendous high school girls track and cross country programs throughout the U.S. with more coaches involved than ever before. I believe there are many coaches from these programs who are ready to become involved nationally.

Ø We have a need for high school coaches to be involved in the total development of our great sports.

How are we going to make it work?

During the past three months we have been collecting e-mail addresses of many coaches. We now have over 3,000 that we can contact. We are asking each of you to e-mail us your list of coaches and their e-mail address. There are over 50,000 high school coaches. We cannot print and mail to each; however, we can via e-mail.

Please do the following:

1) Complete the membership form and return as a member today. Check the box that asks - do you want to serve as your state representative.

2) Send us as many e-mail addresses as possible of other high school coaches.

3) Review our website and give us ideas on how to help our sport.

4) Talk about the organization to others and help us make it a success.

We do not want to leave out anyone willing to get involved. Our staff is small; however, we

will do everything possible to follow up on your questions, etc.

Please help us by completing all information and telling us about yourself, your program and your willingness to help.

If you receive this e-mail and do not want to be involved or continue receiving information, let us know. We will talk to coaches who respond in each state and select five state representatives. You will receive information on the Conventions and all other matters concerning the NHSTCA.

Check out our web for more information. Click on High School at www.ustrackcoaches.org .

MEMORANDUM
To: High School Track Coaches Association (NHSTCA)

From: Jimmy Carnes, Executive Director

Re: Coaches Directory, Update on the Association

Date: September 1, 2003

I am pleased to report to you that the National High School Track Coaches Association has grown tremendously during the past year. We have an opportunity to create an organization that can help our sports of cross country and track make an impact in today's sports world.

There have been many changes in the coaching ranks throughout the nation, as coaches transfer to and from schools and come and go within the sport. I am sure that this mailing will miss some active coaches and possibly go to some of you who are no longer coaching: but our mission is to reach as many track and cross country high school coaches as we can.

Coaches Directory
In September, the United States Track Coaches Association will print a directory, which will include the National High School Track Coaches Association. We would like to include all track and cross country coaches at your school. Please complete the enclosed form and fax it to our office by September 15, 2003. Our fax number is: 352-373-8879

Coach of the Year Awards
We would like to create a high school coach of the year program for each state, with a national winner for both boys and girls teams. We will have five representatives from each state who will be responsible for the state nominations. State awards will be presented at an appropriate time and the recipients of the national awards will be selected from the state winners.

Our first assignment is to select five state representatives. Many of you have indicated your willingness to serve in this capacity. There is a space on the enclosed Directory Information Sheet for you to indicate your willingness to serve.

National Convention
The National Convention will be held in conjunction with USA Track & Field in Greensboro, North Carolina, December 3 through 7. Over 1500 people attend each year. If you have never attended, you are missing a great opportunity to network with and learn from the people in our sport. If you are a state representative, we can provide you with a letter of certification, which you can present to your principal to request time off from school to attend the convention. The coaching clinic will be outstanding. Be sure to check our Website: http://www.ustrackcoaches.org for current information regarding the clinic and other Convention updates.

Website
We have spent many hours during the summer months updating our Website. A special section is devoted to the National High School Track Coaches Association. These pages will continue to grow and the site will expand to more and more areas of interest. The links section of the site will take the visitor to other national sites devoted to our sports of track & field and cross country.

Sponsorship

I met recently with a company concerning a sponsorship that would help to promote the NHSTCA. Our goal is to mail Track & Field Coaches Review magazine to every high school track and cross country coach in America. In addition, we would like to provide coaches educational opportunities to everyone. Any potential sponsor of our association or Coaches Review advertiser will look at the numbers of members we have and the numbers of people involved with our organization. We have the greatest participation sport in the United States, now we need the coaches of this sport to participate in our professional organization. With your help, we can find sponsors to help in the promotion of our great sport.

United States High School Track & Field Series
The U.S. High School Track & Field Series was a great success in 2003. We would like to add more track meets to the Series. Please review our Website, and if you have a meet, or know of a meet director who might be interested in participating in the Series, let me know.

Internet
We can reach the high school coaches throughout the U.S. via the Internet if we have their addresses. Many coaches have emailed us lists of coaches and their email addresses. Please check your address book and send us your email address so that we may reach as many coaches as possible.

Check out our Website: http://www.ustrackcoaches.org

National High School
Track Coaches Association

2003-04 Coaches Directory

We are preparing to print the second edition of the USTCA Coaches Directory sponsored by Gill Athletics.
We would like every institution to be represented in the directory with current information. Please review
the information below to verify its accuracy. Please return this to us to verify that the information is correct.
If it is not, please make appropriate changes and return to our office as soon as possible. Thank you.

Please fax or mail to: United States Track Coaches Association

1330 NW 6th Street

Gainesville, FL 32601-1330

Fax: 352-373-8879
Check us out on the web at:

www.ustrackcoaches.org

Current Database information
Corrected information

School Name _________________________________________

Address ____________________________________________________
City _____________State ________ Zip __________________________

Office phone ___ ___ ________ Fax _____________________________

email: ______________________________________________________

website: http://www.___________________________________________

Head Coach _________________________________________________

Assistant Coaches

Name Event Responsibilities

‰ Yes, I am interested in being a state representative to the National High School Track Coaches Association.
‰ Yes, I am interested in hosting a U.S. High School Track Series meet.

Gill Athletics is the Official Sponsor the of the USTCA Coaches Directory

Affiliate member of the United States Track Coaches Association

Name:______________________________________________________________________

School / Club Name:____________________________________________________________

Mailing Address:______________________________________________________________

City / State / Zip:_______________________________________________________________

Phone:_________________________________FAX:_________________________________

E-Mail Address:_______________________________________________________________

Membership in the National High School Coaches Association will also provide membership in the United States Track Coaches Association. In addition, each High School Member will receive:

R One free CD-ROM of the Coaches Diploma Program

Check the one preferred

___Distance ___Hurdles ___Jumps ___Sprints & Relays ___Throws

R One year free subscription to Track & Field Coaches Review magazine.
R Discount cards for Hotel and Auto rental
R Vote & voice in promoting Track & Field throughout the United States.

Check us out on the web at http://www.ustrackcoaches.org

Payment Information: (check payment option)
Payment Enclosed
Charge my: ___Visa ___MasterCard
Card Number:
Expiration Date: (Month/Year) /

Fax, mail or e-mail

Make check payable to:
U.S. Track Coaches Association
1330 NW 6th Street, Suite C,
Gainesville, Florida 32601
Phone: 352-336-6915 Fax: 352-373-8879 Email: [email protected]

The United States Track Coaches Association is a non-profit association made up of coaches from all levels of track & field and cross country. The Association intends to foster track & field in high schools, colleges and universities in all matters pertaining to the improvement of track & field in the United States.

is published by

For questions or comments about content, contact the editors: Rich Gonzalez and Doug Speck
For business questions or comments, contact the publisher: John Dye

�2002-2004 by DyeStat