|NDHSAA North Dakota State Championships|
Bismarck Community Bowl, Bismarck ND
Fri.-Sat., May 22-23, 2009
From Dave Zittleman, ndhsaa.com - Class A - Class B - Event by Event RESULTS
Day 2: Roesler gets 3rd quadruple; Bismarck sweeps 'A'
Roesler wins 100/200/400 (record 55.10)/800; Osoro doubles 16/32; Class B: New Town boys, Rugby girls
- Class A - Bismarck boys 125.50 over Grand Forks Red River 85; Bismarck girls 168 over Fargo South 94
- Class B - New Town boys 63 over Rugby 61; Rugby girls 64 over Benson County girls 51
Class A Saturday Highlights
- Fargo South jr Laura Roesler took the 100, 200, 400, 800 to complete a state meet quadruple for the fourth straight year (8th through 11th grade). Combined with a 7th-grade title, she has won 17 state track championships
- The Bismarck girls extended their margin, even as Fargo South overtook everyone else and moved into 2nd, and won by 74. After piling up Friday points in field events, they scored 28 in Saturday's relays (winning 4x100 in 49.60, 4x400 in 4:00.11). Junior Twila Moser picked up two runner-up spots in the hurdles for 16 more
- Though their margin wasn't as big, Bismarck also won the boys side by more than 40. They got victories Saturday from Brandon Barnes (1:57.60 800), and a 1-2 from Tyler Bradley and Eric Klein in the discus (both 152-07), and a lot of place points.
- Grand Forks Red River sr Ryan Todhunter set two state records in the hurdles, with 37.65 300H and 14.26 110H (+0.2w). He nearly made it a triple, but lost a photo finish 200 (22.39 to John Welk's 22.39), and was also 5th in the 100.
- Bismarck St. Mary's sr Joash Osoro completed a distance double started Friday (4:16.41 1600) with a 9:12.49 3200 triumph
- West Fargo jr Ellie Grooters took down the 300H state record with 43.03, completing a double that started with a 100H win (14.73, nwi)
- Jamestown sr Andy Lillejord doubled the LJ (22-02.50) and TJ (43-03, both nwi)
- Even without Todhunter, who was only in individual events, Grand Forks Red River took the 4x100 (record-tying 42.98) and 4x200 (1:29.48)
- Fargo North 8th-graders Kira Larson was the youngest champ of the weekend in Class A, winning the HJ with 5-06
- Minot soph Brecca Wahlund nearly broke 11:00 in the 3200 with her 11:00.47
- Bismarck St. Mary's soph John Welk just missed a sprint double, winning the 200 in a photo finish 22.39 (Ryan Todhunter 22.39 also), while losing the 100 in the same type of conclusion (11.27, with Wahlpeton jr Ryan Smith first, also 11.27).
Class B Saturday Highlights
- Rugby's girls won a close team battle, topping Benson County by seven. Freshman Sidney Kraft doubled the 800 (2:21.56) and Friday's 1600 (5:17.23), and was 3rd in the 3200. They also got a hurdles double from senior Ashley Sawley (15.59 100H nwi, and 45.29 300H)
- New Town's two-point win over Rugby on the boys side came from four distance runners. After going 1-2-3 in the 1600 and winning the 4x800 Friday, they also swept the 3200 with Justin Manyribs and twins Jeremy and Justin Grinnell. A few more points in the 800 as well were all they needed
- Williams County sr Deland Weyrauch tripled the 100 (11.05), 200 (22.32, both nwi), and 400 (49.49)
- Langdon/Munich frosh Julie Dinius doubled the 100 (12.85) and 200 (26.27)
- The youngest winner was Benson County 7th-grader Alyssa Anderson in the 3200 (11:34.48)
- Watford City's girls finished a sweep of hte longest relays, taking the 4x4 (4:04.08) to Friday's 4x8 (9:52.20)
- Linton brothers Scott and Trent Roemmich were 2nd and 3rd in both hurdles, trailing only Lisbon's Nathan Dykema (110H), and Dickinson Trinity's Aaron Grinsteinner (300H). They were also on the winning 4x400
Class A Friday Highlights
- Bismarck's girls built a huge first day lead (49 pts) with victories in all four field event finals: Megan Meyer PV (10-09), Amanda Bennes LJ (18-00), Heather Shulz SP (38-06) and Kaitlyn Sturlaugson DT (126-00). They also got 2nds in the LJ and SP.
- Fargo South jr Laura Roesler set herself up for another quadruple by qualifying first in three events, including state records of 24.66 in the 200 and 55.37 in the 400, plus 12.41 in the 100. She also runs the finals-only 800 Saturday.
- Bismarck St. Mary's sr Joash Osoro won a terrific 1600 battle with his XC teammate, Bismarck's Devin Huizenga, 4:16.41 to 4:17.28. West Fargo jr Spencer Uetz was a strong 3rd with 4:18.49. Huizenga also anchored the winning 4x800 (8:03.10) as Bismarck took a 3-pt. Day 1 lead.
- West Fargo frosh Alissa Mears won the 1600 (5:07.08) and ran a leg on the winning 4x800 (9:34.69).
- West Fargo jr Ellie Grooters dominated the 300H heats with a state record 43.25. She also ran on the winning 4x800, led 100H qualifiers and qualified 2nd in the 100
- Strong boys throws with Williston sr Brent Qvale (56-00.50) and Bismarck's Esley Thorton (182-09) winning the SP and DT
- Grand Forks Red River sr Ryan Todhunter led qualifying in both hurdles (14.38 and 38.79)
Class B Friday Highlights
- Bottineau sr Abbey Aide nearly topped her sister's state PV record, going 12-00, ahead of frosh teammate Whitney Page's 10-06
- North Sarg/Sarg Central sr Ryan Drevlow swept the SP (57-04) and DT (183-01)
- New Town sr Jeremy Grinnell led a 1-2-3 for New Town in the 1600 with a 4:24.05. The trio were all part of an 8:12.76 4x8 winner, too, as New Town took the day 1 lead
- Williams County sr Deland Weyrauch qualified 1st in the 100 (11.13), 200 (22.35) and 400 (49.01)
- Benson County's girls got a LJ win and scored well in the distances to take the day 1 lead
- Napolean soph Rikki Schmidt qualifed 1st in the 200 (26.53) and 400 (58.90)
Heartland Region Index