Lee's Summit West (4A), West Plains (3A), Herculaneum (2A) sweep boy's and girl's team titles
Emily Sisson (Parkway Central, St. Louis) crushes 4A girls field with 17:57 5k. Nick Swearingen (Potosi) blitzes 3A boys with 15:36 run.
Class 4A Highlights
- Class 4A Girls: Lee's Summit West
- Class 4A Boys: Lee's Summit West
- Class 3A Girls: West Plains
- Class 3A Boys: West Plains
- Class 2A Girls: Herculaneum
- Class 2A Boys: Herculaneum
- Class 1A Girls: Penney
- Class 1A Boys: College Heights Christian (Joplin)
Class 3A Highlights
- Lee's Summit West girls pack six runners in the first twenty-five scorers, dominating with 69 points. Jefferson City (133) and Cape Girardeau Central (142) finish in second and third.
- Emily Sission (Parkway Central, St. Louis) blasts the field with a 17:57 5k over a very tough course in cold weather. Megan Yohe (Liberty) rund 18:35 to edge Kansas City area rival Taylor Hines (Lee's Summit North, 18:36) for second. KC area runners were also fourth (Samantha Nightingale, Blue Springs South 19:03) and fifth (Chelsey Phoebus, Lee's Summit West 19:08).
- Lee's Summit West boys romp to a 53 point total with four runners in the top fifteen scorers. SLUH (St. Louis) finishes second with 87 points and Liberty third with 140.
- Kevin Colon leads Lee's Summit West to the title, pulling away to a 15:51 win, with Matt Estlund (Chaminade, St. Louis) second in 15:57. Adam Volkert (Lee's Summit, 16:04), Connor Callahan (DeSmet, St. Louis, 16:07) and Nick Happe (Francis Howell North, St. Charles, 16:08) round out the top five.
- In a nip-and-tuck battle, West Plains (75) edges Kearney (78) by placing three runners in the top ten.
- Festus, led by individual winner Allyssa Allison (18:59), takes third with 98 points. Allison pulled away from Ashley Scott (St. Clair, 19:16) and Natalie Todd (Ladue Horton Watkins, 19:33) to win.
- West Plains packed it's top five runners in a 36 second gap to win the boys title with 42 points. Notre Dame (Cape Girardeau) was second with 71 points and Potosi third with 87.
- Jacob Swearingen of Potosi dominated the field with a 15:38 run. KC Metro Championship champion Maksim Korolev was second in 16:02, with Potosi's Nick Niggeman third in 16:12.
Class 2A Highlights
Herculaneum (102) took the 2A girls title from East Newton (154) and St. Peter's Lutheran (St. Charles, 163).
Eileen Schwiess led Herculaneum, winning in 19:55, with Emily Haberstroh (Lutheran, St. Peters, 20:03) and Ashley Wolkomir (Community Christian, Lee's Summit, 20:14) following.
Herculaneum (41 points) rolled to the 2A boys title with four scorers in the top ten. St. Pius X (Kansas City) was second with 84 points, and Bowling Green third with 118.
Tyler Compton (Buffalo) rolled to a large margin over the hilly course, winning in 16:44, with Brett Simshauser (Cuba) second in 17:22, shading Brett Butler (Bowing Green, 17:27).
Class 1A Highlights
Penney dominated the girls team race with 58 points, followed by Midway (100) and Marion County (118).
Emily Beaver of College Heights Christian in Joplin completed a fine season, winning in 19:41. Olivia Fancka (Halfway) was second in 20:14, while Ashley Flook led Penney in third at 20:38.
College Heights Christian stunned the crowd with five runners in the top ten scorers, winning with 18 points. West Platte (118) edged Hermitage (121) for second place.
College Heights went 1-2-3 on field, with Trenton Morris winning (16:39), followed by teammates Caleb Hoover (16:48) and Alex Moore (17:00). Morris and Hoover are both sophomores.