KSHSAA Kansas State Championships
5A-6A at Rim Rock Farm - 1A-4A at Wamego
Saturday, Nov. 1, 2008
From firebirdrunning.com/Lawrence Free State XC (5A-6A) and usd320.com (1A-4A) Wamego HS
Boys Results - Girls Results
Race Distance: 5K-boys, 4K-girls
Lawrence ends SMNW's 16-year streak
Derby girls rule 6A; St. Thomas and Maranatha get sweeps
Class 6A Highlights
- Class 6A - Lawrence boys 60 over HL#10 Shawnee Mission NW 69; Derby girls 86 over Manhattan 106
- Class 5A - St. Thomas Aquinas boys 71 over Bishop Carroll 82; St. Thomas Aquinas girls 74 over Kapaun Mt. Carmel 84
- Class 4A - Mulvane boys 43 over Wamego 63; Baldwin girls 46 over DeSoto 96
- Class 3A - Holcomb boys 72 over Southeast of Saline 88; Belle Plaine girls 50 over Riley County 52
- Class 2A - Maranatha Acad. boys 86 over Berean Acad. 89; Maranatha Acad. girls 62 over Bennington 92
- Class 1A - Ness City boys 14 over Tribune 49; Tribune girls 32 over Burrton 33
Class 5A Highlights
- Lawrence High boys end SM Northwest's 16 year state championship streak!! Lawrence 60, SMNW 69, Wichita Campus 71.
- Brayden Barrientez of Campus outkicks Roy Wedge (Lawrence) 16;07 to 16:08.
- Derby girls outlast a loaded field with 86 points, followed by HL #9 Manhattan (106), bubble teams Free State (Lawrence) 123, Olathe East 124, SM South 127 in a blanket. Following was defending champ BV Northwest (157 7th), and bubble team Olathe South (168 9th).
- Avery Clifton (Washburn Rural, Topeka) 14:59, in her first year of XC (also plays tennis) pulls away in the homestretch from Marlley Crusch (Manhattan 15:08).
Class 4A Highlights
- St. Thomas Aquinas (Overland Park) boys 71 edge Bishop Carroll (Wichita) 82, Topeka West 114.
- PJ Greer (Aquinas) 16:03 holds off a late kick from Kyle Glasgow (Kapaun Mt. Carmel, Wichita 16:06), Brandon Craig (Lansing) 16:09.
- St. Thomas Aquinas girls (74) edge Kapaun Mt. Carmel 84 with Great Bend (102) third.
- MacKenzie Maki (Kapaun Mt. Carmel), a transfer from Montana runs 15:12 to win her first KS state title, with Ashley Washburn (St. Thomas Aquinas) second 15:33.
Class 3A Highlights
- HL #9 Mulvane boys put six in the top twenty to win with 43 points. Wamego 63, Baldwin 105.
- Thomas O' Connell (Andover) wins the title at 16:31, Tony Weiss (Baldwin) 16:37, Riley Woodward (Wamego 16:39). Defending champ David Roberts leads Mulvane in fourth at 16:40.
- Baldwin girls put 3 in top ten to win with 46 points. DeSoto 96, Wamego 101.
- Molly Milbourn (El Dorado) goes 15:07, with BreAnna Briggs (15:22) 2nd.
Class 2A Highlights
- Holcomb boys 72, Southeast of Saline 88, Trinity (Hutchinson) 104.
- Jason Martin (Herington) 17:00 over Enrique Sanchez (Southwestern Heights, Plains) 17:15
- Belle Plaine (50) girls edge Riley County (52) in a great race! Southeast of Saline 115.
- Amanda Callaway (Belle Plaine 15:32) over Kylie Graves (Rossville 15:48).
Class 1A Highlights
- Maranatha Academy (Shawnee) boys 86 edges Berean Academy (Elbing) 89 and Johnson-Stanton County 93.
- Cory Keehn (Jackson Heights, Holton) runs 17:20 to beat Dylan Sicka (Yates Center) 17:39.
- Maranatha Academy doubles with 62 points, followed by Bennington 92, Republic County 98.
- Katelyn Henderson (Olpe) 15:54, Jillian Stratman (Bennington) 16:05
- Ness City boys dominate with 3 in top 5 (14 points, 4 scoring), followed by Tribune 49, Pretty Prairie 83.
- Colton McNinch (Ness City 17:07) over Drake Reynolds (Kensington-Thunder Ridge 17:21)
- Tribune 32 edges Burrton 33 in a thrilling battle! Lincoln 101.
- Rachel Renken (Downs-Lakeside 16:13) defeats Kendrea Pfannenstiel (Ness City 16:27)