| CoxHealth Event Page|
(late entries possible)
|Thater, Rivera Win Mid-America HS Miles|
report from Paul Hockett
The Mid-America High School Mile was held May 31st. The course continues to be deceptively challenging and the 7:40 am start time led to tactical races in both the boys and girls divisions. For a comparison, Potosi MO teammates Josh Mathis and Josh Thebeau ran 4:21 and 4:25 on this course a year ago. Shortly thereafter, they ran 9:00(2M) and 4:08(1M), respectively.
BOYS RACE: The rabbit took it out with a strong pace hitting the ¼ mile at 62-63 seconds. The top three by the ½ mile mark were Danny Thater (Kickapoo), Reese Jackson (Jenks, OK) and Michael Weis (Lebanon). Weis made a move just before the ¾ mark, but couldn't break Thater and Jackson who went on to a final sprint and a wild finish. Thater just edged out Jackson, 4:28.1 to 4:28.9. Weis held on for third in 4:34.3.
Results: 1. Thater (Kickapoo) 4:28.1
2. Jackson (Jenks) 4:28.9
3. Weis (Lebanon) 4:34.3
4. Pogue (Kickapoo) 4:44.7
5. Dan Everett (West. Christian) 4:45.6
6. David Everett( West. Christian) 4:46.1
7. Logan Sloan (Lawrence, KS) 4:49.4
GIRLS RACE: The rabbit took the runners out at a good pace with the top two (Senn and Rivera) separating early in the race. Another dramatic finish as both runners finished in a virtual tie with Taylor Rivera taking the race by just 0.1 seconds over Rebecca Senn (last year's champion) and Taylor Woodruff finishing third.
Results: 1. Rivera (Miller) 5:44.9
2. Senn (Kickapoo) 5:45.0
3. Woodruff (Benton) 5:59.8
Preview: Second Annual Event seeks to draw Heartland Standouts
Race Format: A "road" mile. This race is unique in that we offer a Rabbit for both the boys and girls races to help the athletes reach their goals without having to lead from the gun.
Course: A flat course with two long 1/2 mile straightaways and a 100 degree right hand turn at the mid point.
Boys Entrants Include ...
Girls Entrants Include ...
- Kickapoo MO sr Rick Elliot, state Class 4 1600 and 3200 runner-up at 4:12.86 and 9:16.22
- Jenks OK's Reese Jackson, Class 6A 1600 Runner up at 4:25.93
- Rick Elliot's teammates from state championship 7:51.08 4x800 relay - sophs Danny Thater and Clayton Sippy, and jr Sam Pogue
- Westminster Christian MO freshmen Daniel (4:30 1600 pr) and David (9:56 3200 pr) Everett.
- St. Joseph's Academy MO fr Krista Menghini, 1600 pr of 5:08; 9th in Class 4 1600
- Defending champion Kickapoo soph Rebecca Senn.
Pre-race Dinner: Will be held with Jason Pyrah, 1996 and 2000 Olympian at 1500 meters, as our special guest. Also will have a discussion of Running Injuries and Prevention by CoxHealth Sports Medicine.