| || KHSAA Kansas State Meets|
Fri.-Sat., May 23-24, 2008
Cessna Stadium, Wichita KS
Final results - from TickerTiming.com - Class 6A - Class 5A - Class 4A - Class 3A - Class 2A - Class 1A - TickerTiming's Event-by-Event
- Shawnee Mission-South soph Johannes Swainpool (US#3 221-02) and Wichita-East jr Matt Byers (US#4 219-08) both smash state record in 6A, with Swainpool taking down US soph record
- Even more remarkable quality in 4A girls Jav, with 3 of the top 4 girls in the country coming in all in Kansas Class 4A for different schools - Tonganozie sr Roxie Grizzle state record and US#3 165-5, tying fellow 4A Kansan Heather Bergmann for #6 all-time. She was followed by Bergmann herself (157-1), and Katelyn Penner (152-3).
- Northern Heights, Allen sr Jacquelynne Leffler won her fourth straight SP/DT double - 44-07.25 final effort in SP to beat Norton's Hayli Bozarth (44-01.50), plus 157-07 DT
- Shawnee Mission East's Terrance Thomas 10.53 (+2.0w) / 21.81 (-2.7w) 100/200 double in 6A
- Blue Valley NW sr Laura Roxberg wins 4th straight 1600 title 5:01.61, plus 2nds in 800 and 3200
- Blue Valley West's Richard McCoy 24-00w LJ (+2.8w)
- The day's action features two dramatic ties, Olathe East and Leavenworth in 6A girls, and Andale and Andover in 4A boys
- Class 6A - Olathe-East and Leavenworth girls tie with 57 over Shawnee Mission-South 53.5; Shawnee Mission-South boys 77.5 over Shawnee Mission-East 73
- Class 5A - Overland Park Aquinas girls 72.5 over Shawnee-Mill Valley 62; Emporia boys 70 over Bonner Springs 68
- Class 4A - Concordia girls 88 over El Dorado 53; Andale and Andover boys tie with 50 over Paola 44
- Class 3A - Norton girls 45 over Hays-TMP-Marian 41; Scott City 82 boys over Hillsboro 55
- Class 2A - Atwood-Rawlins Co. girls 63 over Sublette 51; Howard-West Elk boys 47 over Sterling 46
- Class 1A - Kiowa South Barber girls 59 over Minneola 37; Cunningham boys 64 over Goessel and Montezuma-South Gray 35
Tony Bozarth's Summaries by Class
6A Girls Saturday
- Olathe East and Leavenworth tie for the state title with 57 points, with Shawnee Mission South (53.5) third and Manhattan fourth (49.5) as it all rests on the 4 x 400!
- Leavenworth runs an all-time state best 47.55 to win the 4 x 100, with Olathe East second at 47.84, and Topeka High third at 48.54.
- Laura Roxberg (Blue Valley Northwest) takes her fourth state 1600 title, winning in 5:01.61, with Marley Crusch (Manhattan, 3200 winner) second at 5:04.06 in a great head-to-head battle.
- Kristen Gillespie (Shawnee Mission South, 2:15.55) edges Laura Roxberg (Blue Valley Northwest 2:15.67) in stirring homestretch battle in the 800, with Hanna Stradinger (Shawnee Mission East, 2;19.95) third.
- Audacia Moore (Heights, Wichita) blisters an 11.77w in the 100, with Sylvia Alexander (Wichita Southeast, 11.94 2nd), Shamoya Pruitt (Wichita South 11.99 3rd), Breeana Coleman (Olathe East 11.99 4th) and Chelsey Borders (Olathe East 12.02 5th) all following fast!
- Audacia Moore (Heights, Wichita) wins the 200 into a strong headwinds in 25.45, with Karina Expose (Leavenworth) second at 25.72 and Sylvia Alexander (Wichita Southeast 25.89) third.
- Shawnee Mission East roars to a 9:36.58 4 x 800 win, with Kristen Gillespie anchoring Shawnee Mission South to 2nd (9:41.78) and Manhattan (leading off with 3200 winner Marley Crusch) third at 9:45.85.
- In the concluding 4 x 400, Leavenworth had to win to tie Olathe East for the team title, while a second or above would give Shawnee Mission South the out-right title. Leavenworth's Karina Expose anchored her team to a 3:59.37 win, fighting past Washburn Rural (Topeka, 3:59.85 second) in the last thirty yards. Wichita Southeast (4:01.62) was third, with Kristen Gillespie passed three teams and made up huge yards to anchor Shawnee Mission South to fourth in 4:04.4. in great effort.
- Ashley Reid (Olathe East) defends her state title in the HJ, leaping 5-6.
- Kasha McDougald (Junction City) blazes a 14.88 in the 100H, with Brittany Harding (Olathe South, 15.02) second and Breeana Coleman (Olathe East, 15.21) third.
- Kristina Taylor (Leavenworth) wins the 400 in 57.67, edging Kristen Gillespie (Shawnee Mission South, 57.76) in an exciting stretch run with Karina Expose (Leavenworth) third at 58.19.
- Storm Simons (Shawnee Mission North) storms (pun intended) to a 45.32 300 win, with Deidra Anthony (Wichita South) second at 46.89.
- Katie Porter (Goddard) leaps 17-5.25 in the LJ to edge Sarah Buschmann (Blue Valley West, 17-4.25).
- Britany Riley (Shawnee Mission West) throws 132-3 in the Disc to just edge Chey Harper (Leavenworth, 132-2).
- Micah Wesley (Topeka High) SP's 43-0 to win, with Chey Harper (Leavenworth, 42-3) second and Alisia Ryan (Manhattan, 40-8) third.
6A Girls Friday
- Marley Crusch (Manhattan) 10:59.78 3200 win over three time 1600 champ Laura Roxberg (Blue Valley Northwest 11:11.07
- Sarah Buschman (Blue Valley West) 38-6 TJ over Olathe East duo of Ashley Reid (38-2.5) and Courtney Reinke (38-0.75).
- Lindsey Curtis (Manhattan) 126-2 JT.
- Cassie Craig (Maize) 11-6 PV win over Christen Botteron (Shawnee Mission Northwest, 11-0) and Linda Kuenzi (Shawnee Mission Northwest, 11-0).
6A Boys Saturday
- Shawnee Mission South give 27 year head coach Mike Naster a great retirement gift, winning with 77.5 points. Shawnee Mission East is second with 73 points, Maize thrid with 42 and Shawnee Mission Northwest fourth with 38.5.
- Terrance Thomas (Shawnee Mission East) screamed to wind-legal 10.53 100 win, with Demarcus Robinson (Wichita Northwest, 10.88 2nd), Shawn Smith (Olathe Northwest 10.88 3rd) and Andre Pablo (Manhattan 10.97) under 11.00.
- Terrance Thomas (Shawnee Mission East) completed his sprint double, running 21.81 into a headwind. Richard McCoy (Blue Valley West, LJ winner) was second in 22.29, with 400 rivals Mike Flores (Maize, 22.41) and Dylan Hartnett (Dodge City, 22.55) third and fourth.
- Nico Yoch (Shawnee Mission North) vaults 15-6, with Tim Malcom (Free State, Lawrence) second at 14-6.
- Aaron Sawyer (Shawnee Mission North) roars to a 14.21w 110H win, with Garrick Jordan (Shawnee Mission North, 14.54), Brian Woods (Olathe Northwest, 14.57), Keith Hayes (Wichita Southeast 14.57), and Andrew Pennington (Shawnee Mission East 14.67) in tight pack following.
- Mike Flores (Maize) defended his 400 title with a stirring stretch run, winning in 48.71, edging Dylan Hartnett (Dodge City, 48.97) and Miles Ukaoma (Maize, 49.09).
- Shawnee Mission West lead-off Travis Boyett broke from the field early and West won the 4 x 800 in 8:02.47). Shawnee Mission South (8:05.51) edged defending champ Olathe East (8:05.89) for second.
- Robbie Garcia (Wichita Northwest, 4:24.56) suprised pre-race favorite Scott Gillespie (Shawnee Mission South 4:25.00) in the last 20 yards of a tactical 1600 to win. Ben Loats (Blue Valley, 4:26.53), Jared Ellsworth (Shawnee Mission Northwest 4:27.76) and Brian Hageman (Washburn Rural, Topeka 4:29.38) all entered the last 300 with a chance to win.
- Shawnee Mission East (42.41) edged Heights (Wichita, 42.42) and Olathe South (42.43) in the 4 x 100 that went to a photo-finish.
- Evan Mesh (Shawnee Mission Northwest, 38.77) edged rival and defending state champ Andrew Pennington (Shawnee Mission East, 38.85) on the run-in in the 300H.
- Tyrell Everett (Heights, Wichita) jumped the field in the last 100 to win the 800 in 1:56.92, holding off Ben Schmitz (Olathe East 1:47.44) and Scott Gillespie (Shawnee Mission South 1:57.54).
- Shawnee Mission East closed out the meet with a blazing 3:18.80 4 X 400 win. Mike Flores anchored Maize to second at 3:22.54 and Shawnee Mission Northwest was third at 3:23.68.
6A Boys Friday
- Richard McCoy (Blue Valley West) 24-0 LJ win
- Johannes Swainpool (Shawnee Mission South) 221-2 last throw win over Matt Byers (Wichita East) 219-8 as both broke the 6A JT record.
- Drew Holmes (Shawnee Mission South) 53-7 SP/ 180-9 DT double.
- Jake Wike (Derby, 9:35.42) kicks late to win a tactical 3200, just edging Jake Taylor (Shawnee Mission South, 9:35.68).
- Austin Bahner (Heights, Wichita) 45-4.25 TJ win
- Curran Darling (Shawnee Mission East) jumps 6-6 to win the HJ on misses from Collin Childers (Blue Valley North) and Andrew Meschske (Shawnee Mission South).
5A Girls Saturday
- Aquinas (Overland Park) won the girl title with 72.5 points, with Mill Valley (Shawnee) second with 62, and Gardner-Edgerton and Great Bend tieing for fourth with 57 points.
- Emilee Morris (Hutchinson) ran away early to win in 5:03.85, holding off Cali George (Gardner-Edgerton, 5:08.12) with 3200 winner Michaela Reynolds (Emporia) third at 5:18.15.
- Emilee Morris (Hutchinson) moved late and powered to a 2:17.90 800 win, with Whitney Hartman (Mill Valley, Shawnee) second at 2:20.56 and Cali George (Gardner-Edgerton, 2:21.63) third.
- Letristan Pledger (Washington, Kansas City, 15.02w) edged Caitlyn Murray (Great Bend, 15.13) for the 100H title. Pledger is coached at Washington High by Cliff Wiley, who ranked #1 in the world in the 400 in the early 1980's.
- Letristan Pledger (Washington, Kansas City) wins the 100 in 12.36w, with Sarina Proctor (Winfield, 12.56) edging Tyler Sloan (Sumner, Kansas City, 12.58) for second.
- Letristan Pledger (Washington, Kansas City) completed her triple, winning the 200 in 26.22 into a headwind, with Jackie Jacobs (Aquinas, Overland Park) second at 26.46.
- Aquinas (Overalnd Park) anchor Megan Yartz held off a spirited rush by Gardner-Edgerton's Cali George (who split 2:18) to gain a 9:50.08-9:50.83 win.
- Mill Valley (Shawnee) ran 50.04 to win the 4 x 100, with Salina Central (50.15) second.
- Hannah Rotolo (Liberal, 58.60) and Allison Walter (Miege, Shawnee Mission, 59.14) waged a stirring battle in the 400.
- Clarissa Johnson (Gardner-Edgerton) showed great strength into homestretch wind to win the 300H in 45.38, with Tyler Sloan (Sumner, Kansas City, 46.06) edging Caitlyn Murray (Great Bend, 46.09) for third.
- Aquinas (Overland Park) wins the 4 x 400 in 4:06.39, with Great Bend taking second in 4;09.14 from a tight pack with six teams within a second.
- Katie Bauer (Mill Valley, Shawnee) lept 36-11.25 on her final TJ to win, edging Sarah Kolmer (Emporia, 36-11.25) on back-up jumps, with Cierra Ceazer (Shawnee Heights, Topeka) a close third at 36-11.
5A Girls Friday
- Allison Mayfield (Aquinas, Overland Park) wins her fourth straight HJ title at 5-7.
- Michaela Reynolds (Emporia, 11:13.8) pulls away from Cali George (Gardner-Edgerton 11:20.73) to win the 3200
- Abreanna Parker (Shawnee Heights, Topeka) leaps to a 18-5 LJ win.
- Alex Hartig (Great Bend) throws four over 40 feet in the shot, winning at 42-11. Hartig also wins the DT at 142-9, winning by almost 20 feet.
- Leah Mauer (Miege, Shawnee Mission) wins a deep JT comp at 137-5, with HJ winner Allison Mayfield (Aquinas, Overland Park 136-3) second, and Kellsey Trimble (Shawnee Heights, Topeka 133-4), Alex Hartig (Great Bend, 133-1) and Amber Kloster (Pittsburg 131-7) over 130.
- Samantha Kraft (Emporia) wins the PV with a 5A state record 11-2, former record holder Emmy Lehman (Gardner-Edgerton) second at 10-6.
5A Boys Saturday
- Emporia (70) edged Bonner Springs (68) for the team title, with Newton (62) third and Shawnee Heights (Topeka, 36) fourth.
- Jonathan (14.36 wind legal) and Jeremy (14.76) Walker gave Bonner Springs a quick 1-2 in the 110H.
- Jeremy Walker (Bonner Springs) dashed at quick wind-legal 10.64 100, with Dominque Banks (Turner, Kansas City, 10.80), Duone Maxwell (Washington, Kansas City 10.82 third), Grant Loescher (Newton 10.82 fourth) and Darrell Freeman (Arkansas City 10.98) following quickly.
- The Walker brothers helped Bonner Springs to a 5A Class record 41.64 4 x 100 win, with Newton (42.30) and Highland Park (Topeka, 42.39) second and third.
- Jonathan Walker (Bonner Springs) wins the 200 into a headwind in 22.33, with 400 winner Dominque Banks (Turner, Kansas City) second at 22.41.
- Jacob Davies (Emporia) jumped the tight field with 100 to go, kicking to a 4:30.84 1600 win, with Josh Munsch (Hays) second at 4:31.73. Davies clocked a 58 second last 400.
- Jacob Davies (Emporia) kicked late again to win the 800 in 1:56.57, running down early leader Derrick Perry (Topeka West, 1:56.99) with James Carter (Bonner Springs) third at 1:58.08. Carter earlier ran on the Bonner Springs state record 4 x 100 team!
- Dominque Banks (Turner, Kansas City) dashed 49.69 to win the 400 with a late surge, edging Blaine Hays (Hutchinson, 49.91) and 1600/ 800 winner Jacob Davies (Emporia, 49.95).
- Zach Roberts (Newton) won the 300H in 39.19.
- Aquinas (Overland Park) ran off to win the 4 x 800 in 8:02.69, with Topeka West (8:06.99) second and Kapaun Mt. Carmel (Wichita) third at 8:12.50.
- Shawnee Heights (Topeka) wins the 4 x 400 in 3:21.75, with Gardner-Edgerton (3:24.43) and Hutchinson (3:24.69) second and third.
- Jeremy Walker (Bonner Springs) won the LJ at 22-3.5, with Matt Sittenauer (Mill Valley, Shawnee) second at 21-9 and HJ/TJ titleist Brandon Childs (Emporia) third at 21-2.
- Jesse Vaughn (Shawnee Heights, Topeka) cranked the Javelin 204-2 to win by almost 20 feet.
- Zach Bahr (Seaman, Topeka) tossed the shot 55-1 to win, edging Jordan Voelker (Newton, 54-4.25). Joe Bach (Liberal, 53-1) was third and Bryan Moten (Sumner, Kansas City, 52-9.5) fourth.
5A Boys Friday
- Isaac Mallory (Gardner-Edgerton) vaults to a 5A record 16-0.
- Brandon Childs (Emporia) TJ's 46-0 to win, edging Matt Sittenauer (Mill Valley, Shawnee, 45-10). Childs also wins the HJ at 6-8, with James Carraway (Highland Park, Topeka) second at 6-6.
- Kyle Hanson (Aquinas, Overland Park) kicks to the 3200 win in 9:36.35, with Carrington Crum (Valley Center) second at 9:39.19.
- Joe Bach (Liberal) tosses the disc 171-0 to win.
4A girls Saturday
- Concordia romped to the team title with 88 points, with El Dorado second with 53. Buhler (43.5) edged Tonganoxie (42) for third place.
- Roxie Grizzle (Tonganoxie) won a monsterous Javelin competition, throwing a 4A state record 165-5 on her second throw. Heather Bergmann (Concordia) unleashed a 157-1 toss on her final effort, while Katelyn Penner (Labette County) took third with a throw of 152-3 and Hailey Twietmeyer (Cheney was fourth at 143-4!
- Concordia and Andover Central waged a great 4 x 400 battle, with Concordia winning in a 4A state record 3:59.26 to 4:00.29.
- Baldwin anchor Heather Garcia (3200 champ) unleashed a vicious kick to come from way back to win in 9:41.09 in the 4 x 800, catching Wamego (9:44.38) in the homestretch.
- Heather Garcia (Baldwin) pulled away to a 5:05.97 1600 win, with Laura Nightengale (El Dorado) second at 5:13.95.
- Laura Nightengale (El Dorado) edged Heather Garcia (Baldwin) 2:14.58 to 2:15.29 in a great homestretch battle.
- Ashley Smith (Paola) won the 100 in 12.46w.
- Piper (Kansas City) won the 4 x 100 in 49.37, with Buhler second at 49.59 and Andover Central, anchored strongly by Tiffany Bias, third at 49.85.
- Tiffany Bias (Andover Central) roared to a 57.39 400 win, with Kay Riedl (El Dorado, 58.49) edging Karly Buer (Concordia, 58.95) for second.
- Tiffany Bias (Andover Central) won the 200 in 25.79, edging 100 champ Ashley Smith (Paola 25.88).
- Alex Muff (Concordia) ran 14.80 to edge team-mate Witney Sorell (14.85) in the 100H.
- Defending champ Emily Ballock (Eudora) dominated the 300H, winning in 44.83, with Witney Sorell (Concordia) second at 45.94.
- Jamie House (El Dorado) won the PV with a leap of 11-6, defeating a deep field with Abby Rowland (Andale 2nd), Lizzy Shmitz (Andale, 3rd tie), Haley Bowers (Concordia, 3rd tie) and Shalee Ratliff (Chanute 5th) all clearing 11-0.
4A girls Friday
- Kearsten Peoples (Ottawa) tosses five throws over 43 feet, topping out at 45-2 to win the SP. Roni Grizzle (Tonganoxie) is second at 42-8, with Heather Bergmann (Concordia 41-8) and Jenna Koch (Smoky Valley, Lindsborg 41-2.75) also over 40 feet.
- Heather Garcia (Baldwin) dominates the 3200, winning in 11:09.45, with Breanna Briggs (Wamego) second at 11:32.11.
- Tanya Friesen (Buhler) leaps 18-3 to edges Ashley Smith (Paola, 18-1.5) in the LJ.
- Witney Sorell (Concordia) leaps 37-8.5 to win the TJ.
- Jlynn Ledesma (Wellington) leaps 5-6 to win the HJ
- Jenna Koch (Smoky Valley, Lindsborg) throws 138-8 to win the DT, with Dorothy Voth (Hesston 130-6) and Kendra Jones (Augusta) 130-1 also over 130 feet.
4A Boys Saturday
- Rivals Andale and Andover tied for the team title with 50 points. Paola took third with 44 points and Mulvane fourth with 34.
- Joe Stephens (Paola) won the 110H in 14.85, with Ryan Haswell (Andover) second at 15.00.
- In the 300H, Ryan Haswell (Andover, 39.23) reversed the 100 order, with Joe Stephens (Paola) second at 39.57.
- In a sterling effort, Dillon Cowing (Clay Center) led wire-to-wire to win the 800 in 1:58.12, with Jeremy Carlisle (Tonganoxie) second at 1:58.60 with Josh Baden (Colby, taking his third top three medal of the meet in the distances) third at 2:00.01.
- Chanute (8:17.70) and Osawatomie (8:18.12) broke from a tight pack to go 1-2 in the 4 x 800.
- Ethan Ungles (Andale) won the 100 in 10.88w, with Logan Cares (Parsons) second at 10.99.
- James Wilson (Abilene) burst from the 1600 with a 200 to go and won with a 4:25.40. 3200 winner Tom O'Connell (Andover) was second at 4:27.79 and Josh Baden (Colby) 3rd at 4:28.70.
- Andale roared away from the 4 x 100 field, winning in 43.54.
- Dustin Schmitz (Concordia) charged down the homestretch to win the 400 in 49.70, with Nathan Southard (Pratt, 49.94) a close second.
- Ethan Ungles (Andale) won the 200 in 22.64, with TJ winner Andre Linzy (DeSoto) second at 22.77.
- Baldwin used a strong anchor by Dustin Schiller to win in 3:25.52, with Louisburg (3:26.42) outleaning Paola (3:26.60) for second.
- Michael Hollemback (St. James, Lenexa) won the HJ at 6-6, with Trevor Miller (Royal Valley, Hoyt) and Johnny Webb (Girard) second and third at the same height.
- Andre Linzy (DeSoto) won the TJ by over two feet at 45-10.5.
- TJ Hawkins of Goodland won the DT at 158-9, with Jeff Woods (Louisburg) a close second at 158-2.
4A Boys Friday
- Joe Stephens (Paola) leaps 23-1.75 to edge Andre Linzy (DeSoto, 23-0.75) in the LJ
- Tom O' Connell (Andover) pulls away to win the 3200 in 9:39.66 with Josh Baden (Colby) second in 9:46.54.
- Jeremy Postin (Andover) throws 53-0 on his last toss to win the SP, with Sam Blecha (Ottawa) second at 52-8.75 second and Ryan Hershberger (Clay Center 52-7.25) third.
- Dustin Weissbeck (Hayden, Topeka) throws 184-7 to win the JT, with Clint Lawrence (Ft. Scott) second at 180-2.
- Ben Horsch (14-6) and Michael Baalman (14-0) go 1-2 in the PV for Andale, with Tray Olson (Chanute, 14-0) third.
3A Girls Saturday
- Norton (45) edged Thomas More Prep (Hays) (41) for the team title. Medicine Lodge (31) was third, with Riley County (30) and Marion (30) close behind.
- Jacquelynne Leffler (Northern Heights, Allen) won her fourth straight shot/ disc double. But this was the toughest of them all, as Leffler had to call up a 44-7.25 final effort to catch Norton's Hayli Bozarth, who unleashed a fourth round 44-1.5 to take the lead.
- Kim Haberman (TMP-Marian, Hays) started a busy day, winning the TJ in 37-2.5w, edging Dakota Kaufman (Hillsboro, 36-11).
- Kim Haberman (TMP-Marian, Hays) won the LJ at 17-2, with Sara Wetzel (Silver Lake) a close second with a last round 16-10.
- Kim Haberman (TMP-Marian, Hays) won the 100 in 12.30w, with Sierra Grant (Independent, Wichita) very close at 12.34.
- Sierra Gant (Independent, Wichita) won the 200 in 26.12, with Aleni Zavesky (Ellsworth) second at 26.38 and Kim Haberman taking her fourth medal with a 27.47 third.
- Cori Christensen (Medicine Lodge) used a great kick to win the 1600 in 5:15.22, with Laura Lee Baird (Norton) showing quickness also, kicking to a 5:18.33 2nd, with Anne Martin (Riley County) third at 5:19.56.
- Cori Christensen (Medicine Lodge) again showed her speed, winning the 800 with a late move in 2:20.89, with Laura Lee Baird (Norton) second at 2:21.59, edging Megan Duggins (Collegiate, Wichita 2:21.68) and Amanda Callaway (Belle Plaine 2:21.90).
- Riley County anchor Jojo Mahaffey kicked away to 9:59.23 4 x 800 win, with Scott City second at 10:02.69.
- Ashley Baier (Holcomb) won the 100H in 16.21.
- Marion ran 50.65 to edge Southeast of Saline (50.97) in the 4 x 100.
- Micala Jamison (Hoisington) ran 59.44 to win the 400, with 1600 runner-up Laura Lee Baird (Norton) a noticeable third (60.71) behind Kailea Hayes (Council Grove 60.61).
- Lisa Weishaar (Jefferson County North) defended her 300H in 46.30.
- Jayhawk-Linn (Mound City) won the 4 x 400 in 4:10.95, with Conway Springs second at 4:11.71.
- Elizabeth Stover (Sabetha) threw 127-6 to win the JT, with Vanessa Finlay (Mission Valley, Eskridge, 126-6) and Monica Wuertz (Central Heights, Richmond, 126-5) a close second and third.
- Shanise Rice (Medicine Lodge) jumped 5-4 to win the HJ.
3A Girls Friday
- Jacquelyne Leffler (Northern Heights, Allen) tosses a 3A record 157-7 to win the DT, with 156-8 back up and three more over 145. Hayli Bozarth (Norton) throws 137-9 to take second.
- Annie Martin (Riley County, 11:41.45) edges Jylian Jaloma (Maur Hill-Mt. St. Scholastica, Atchison, 11:43.72) in the 3200.
- Lauren Keefer (Belleville) vaults 10-0.
3A Boys Saturday
- Scott City rolled to the team title with 82 points, with Hillsboro (55) over Garden Plain (53) for second. Remington (36) was fourth.
- Trace Kendrick (Scott City) continued to dominate the distances after last nights 3200 win, taking the 1600 in 4:25.20 and winning by eight seconds. Kendrick also won the 800 in 1:58.65 by over a second.
- Scott City, with Kendrick running the second leg, ran 3:28.06 to barely edge Hillsboro by 1/1000th of a second in a true photo finish!
- Gabe Wickham (Phillipsburg, 15.12) won the 110H in a very tight race with Briar Snyder (Jayhawk-Linn, 15.15).
- Scott City (8:22.18), Hillsboro (8:22.23) and Marion (8:22.63) all came across the line together in the 4 x 800, bringing the crowd to it's feet with a roar.
- Bruce Field (Riley County) won a clear victory in the 100 in 11.00w.
- Phillipsburg took the 4 x 100 in 44.37.
- Kurt Pauly (Garden Plain) moved late and powred to a 50.68 400 win.
- Andrew McNary (Remington) won the 300H in 39.63 from Nick Renfro (Cherokee-Southeast, 39.76).
- Abraham Noll (Jefferson County North0 won the 200 easily in 23.27.
- Zack Puetz (Garden Plain) won the DT at 159-8.
3A Boys Friday
- Zach Puetz (Garden Plain) throws 56-4 to win the SP, with Jerimah Wingate (Central Heights, Richmond) second at 53-3, edging Grant Brown (Beloit, 52-11.5) and Logan Pegram (Silver Lake, 52-10).
- Trace Kendrick (Scott City) wins the 3200 in 9:40.38, with Cody McMillen (Hillsboro) second at 9:51.73.
- Chance Chelemedos (Scott City) wins the TJ at 44-6.75
- Chase Keyser (Galena) edges Taylor Buck (Medicine Lodge) on misses for the HJ title, both going 6-6.
- Dillon Richardson (Sedgwick) leaps 22-4 to win the LJ.
- A dandy last round sees Calvin Hughes (Scott City, 185-3) edge Wayne Bennett (Remington, 180-0) in the JT.
- Bryon Bridges (Halstead) wins the PV at 14-0.
2A Girls Saturday
- Rawlins County dominated the team race with 63 points, with Sublette second with 51. Ellis was third with 42, and Oakley took fourth with 34.
- Aubrey Fredering (Plainville) dominated the distances, smoothly winning the 1600 (5:21.07) and 800 (2:21.74) in addition to her 3200 title the day before.
- Lauren Pickens (Peabody-Burns) dominated the 100, winning by almost half a second in 12.22. Pickens also won the 400 (58.40) by over a second, and the 200 in 25.93.
- Jenny Welker (Pretty Prairie) hurdled 15.83 to edge Macy Migchelbrink (Rawlins County, 15.84) for the 100H title. Migchelbrink later won the 300H in 46.53.
- St. Mary-Colgan (Pittsburg) dominated the 4 x 800, winning by almost a straightaway in 9:55.06.
- Sublette roared to the 4 x 100 title in 51.18.
- Osborne won the 4 x 400 in 4:07.31.
- Misty Lowe (St. Marys) threw 41-0.75 to win the SP, holding off Heidi Smith (Elkhart, 51-0.25).
- Sara Miller (Rawlins County) threw 126-5 on her second attempt, with Whitney Taylor (Ellis) second at 124-7 in the DT.
- Andrea Hoke (Lyndon) launched the Javelin 132-11 to win.
- Keegan Williams (Maranatha, Shawnee) vaulted 10-0 to win.
2A Girls Friday
- Aubrey Frederking (Plainville) runs to an 11:50.25 3200 win, with Julie Dorneker (Chase County) second at 12:00.61.
- Emily Lucas (Sublette) leaps 5-6 to win the HJ.
- Macy Migchelbrink (Rawlins County) leaps 17-1.75 on her last attempt to win the LJ, edging Kelsi Griffin (Hill City, 17-0) and Abbie Smith (Uniontown, 16-11.75.).
- Dayna Kuhlman (Oakley) leaps 36-6.5 to win the TJ.
2A Boys Saturday
- West Elk (Howard) edged Sterling for the team title 47-46. Bennington was third with 43.5 and Smith Center fourth with 35.
- Lawson Montgomery (Bennington) roared to a 14.03 wind-legal 110H win, winning by over a second and destroying the 2A meet record by almost eight-tenths of a second! Montgomery easily also won the 300H in 39.03.
- Michael Lambert (Clifton-Clyde) edges Montgomery in the 100, 11.14w to 11.17
- Zach Zarda (Maranatha, Shawnee) wins 1600 in 4:27.15 over Kaleb Humphries (Sterling, 4:29.44), adding the 1600 to his 3200 title.
- Carlin Unruh (Berean Acad., Elbing) wins the 800 in 2:00.78) shading Justin Ross (Central-Burden) 2:01.36, Zarda (2:01.56) and Humphreys (2:01.61).
- Sonny Lee (West Elk, Howard) dominates the 400 in 49.03, adding it to his HJ crown. Lee also won the 200 in 23.04.
- Flint Hills (Rosalia) won the 4 x 800 in 8:23.51.
- Smith Center wins the 4 x 100 in 44.07
- Sublette won the 4 x 400 in 3:30.79, edging Onaga 3:31.03.
- Taylor Lowe (West Elk, Howard) won the LJ at 20-10.75.
- Levi Jenkins (Valley Heights) won the TJ at 44-2.5.
2A Boys Friday
- Zach Zarda (Maranatha, Shawnee) kicks to a 2A 3200 record 9:26.72, pulling away from Kaleb Humprheys (Sterling, 9:45.52).
- John Binning (Rawlins County) puts 54-6.25 on his last attempt to win from Mike Powell (Lacrosse, 52-9).
- Jordan Broxterman (Frankfort) tosses the Javelin 182-0, with Brice Peters (Sublette, 181-6) second.
- Sonny Lee (West Elk, Howard) leaps 6-4 to edge Dan Terrell (Alma-Wabaunsee) on misses in the HJ.
- Keith Zerger (Pretty Prairie) wins the PV at 13-6.
- Braden Wilson (Smith Center) wins the DT at 171-6.
1A Girls Saturday
- South Barber (Kiowa) easily won the team title with 59 points. Minneola was second with 37 while Quivira Heights (Bushton) and Greensburg (37) tied for third.
- Ashley Shearer (Cunningham) won the TJ by over a foot at 36-5.75.
- Kacey Fulton (Greensburg) won the LJ at 16-6.75. Fulton also won the 200 in 26.73.
- Erin Merklein (South Barber, Kiowa) dominated the 100H in 15.38.
- Hoxie won the 4 x 800 by over 10 seconds in 10:06.37.
- Kara Gfeller (Triplains, Winona) won the 100 in 12.66w, edging Kacey Fulton (Greensburg 12.71) and Ciera Nelson (Little River 12.72).
- Hillary Callaway (Rock Hills, 5:30.76) reversed the order of last nights 3200 on Katelyn Henderson (Olpe, 5:31.66), winning the 1600.
- Minneola won the 4 x 100 in 51.89.
- Kendra Zaborktsky (Hanover) won the 400 in 59.26, with Kelsey Savage (Quivira Heights, Bushton) 59.60 a close second.
- Caitlyn Long (Bucklin, 46.63) edged out Erin Merkelein (South Barber, Kiowa, 46.71) in the 300H.
- Carman Hill (Hoxie) kicked late to win the 800 in 2:25.97 over Briana Bruna (Hanover, 2:26.52).
- Hanover won the 4 x 400 in 4:12.89.
1A Girls Friday
- Rachel Belisle (Palco) wins the JT at 129-0, with Bailea Phelan (Quivira Heights, Bushton) a close second at 128-1 and Samantha Vanranken (South Barber, Kiowa) third at 124-3.
- Katelyn Henderson (Olpe, 12:14.05) edges Hilary Callaway (Rock Hills, 12:15.56) in the 3200.
- Calli Matthews (South Barber, Kiowa) wins the DT at 121-4.
- Shelby Brockelman (St. John's, Beloit) leaps 5-2 to win on misses, with Amanda Lewallen (Quivira Heights, Bushton) 2nd and Chricket Short (Wallace County) third at the same height.
- Rachel Leuthold (Bern) vaults 10-6 to win.
- Nickie Weir (Pike Valley, Scandia) tosses the shot 39-9.5 for the title.
1A Boys Saturday
- Cunningham dominated the team race with 64 points. Goessel and South Gray (Montezuma) tied for second with 35 points and Chase was fourth with 26.
- Nick Canton (Fowler) lept 6-8 to win the HJ, with LJ winner Mikel Bethea (Chase) second at 6-4.
- Tracy Ford (Cunningham) won the SP at 53-2 and DT with a throw of 160-10.
- Craig Banman (Goessel) won the 300H in 40.34. Banman also won the 200 in 23.06, and anchored Goessel to a 3:29.09 4 x 400 win.
- Isaac Bradshaw (Jetmore) won the 110H in 15.50.
- South Haven took the 4 x 800 in 8:24.13.
- Tomas Marek (Triplains, Winona) won the 100 in 11.20, edging James Patton (Cunningham, 11.25).
- Kaman Schneider (Greeley County) kicked to a 4:36.79 1600 win.
- James Patton anchored Cunningham to a 44.50 4 x 100 win.
- Reggie Scott (Axtell) won the 400 in 50.93 from a tight pack.
- Clyde Redger (South Gray, Montezuma) kicked to a 2:00.45 800 win.
- Ethan Robinson (Troy) won the JT with a toss of 171-4.
- Brent Bergman (B & B, Baileyville) won the PV at 14-0.
1A Boys Friday
- Mikel Bethea (Chase) leaps 22-5.5 to win the LJ.
- Reggie Scott (Axtell) leaps 46-4.5 to win the TJ on his last attempt, with Mikel Bethea (Chase) second at 44-7.75.
- Colton McNinch (Ness City) runs 10:07.80 in the 3200, pulling away from Kristian Sherrill (Stafford, 10:10.29).
Heartland Region Index