Brasovan, Hale win 4th-straight girls titles
Boys oneupsmanship: Wallace (2A) 15:19, Mizereck (3A) 15:16, Atkinson (4A) 15:15
SE#5 Belen Jesuit boys, SE#7 Chiles girls win convincingly
Photos by Steven Wallace
|2A champ Michael Wallace (#91) - 15:19|
|3A champ Matt Mizereck (15:16) leads his Leon teammate Will Stanford (2nd 15:20)|
|4A champ Brian Atkinson - 15:15|
Class 4A Highlights
- 4A - Miami Columbus boys 86 over Melbourne 119; Bartram Trail girls 83 over Winter Park 89
- 3A - Leon boys 63 over Chamberlain 93; Chiles girls 35 over Satellite138
- 2A - Belen Jesuit boys 45 over Tampa Jesuit 61; Bishop Kenny girls 46 over Bolles 60
- 1A - Holy Trinity boys 51 over Trinity Prep 54; Community School Naples girls 61 over Holy Trinity 96
Class 3A Highlights
- Wellington sr Ashley Brasovan became the 3rd runner in FL history to win four state cross country titles, running 17:03 for a 1:12 margin of victory over Cypress Bay sr Mariana Lucena's 18:15
- Bartram Trail girls edged Winter Park, 83 to 89, using three scorers inside the top ten scoring positions to overcome Winter Park's 59-second spread
- Melbourne junior Brian Atkinson threw down the fastest boys time of the day with his 15:15 winner over Miami Columbus soph Armando Del Valle (15:24), but Del Valle in turn led his team to the boys state title, 86-119, over Atkinson's Melbourne squad
Class 2A Highlights
- Cramming all five scorers into the top 10, the SE#7 Chiles girls overcame a 1-2 finish from Satellite seniors Ashley Shiver (17:34) and Juliana Stern (17:42) to post a stingy 35 pts, more than 100 up on Satellite's 138. Chiles was fronted by a pair of ninth graders in Lily Williams (3rd 17:51) and Carly Thomas (5th 18:20), and had 5 girls under 18:50.
- Defending champ Shiver was an unlikely prospect to repeat, as her winning time of 17:34 was over a minute faster than any other mark she'd produced this season.
- Fronted by the 1-2 efforts of soph Matt Mizereck (15:16 for 2nd fastest of the day) and jr Will Stanford (15:20), the Leon boys defeated Chamberlain by 30 points, 63-93.
Class 1A Highlights
- With an impressive 36-second spread and all five scorers into the top-15 scoring slots, the SE#5 Belen Jesuit boys negated the daunting 23-second compression of Tampa Jesuit to register a 45 to 61 victory. Belen Jesuit was led by the 3-5 finish of sr Joseph Dorfman (15:36) and frosh Elliot Clemente (15:45)
- Running earliest in the day for boys, Bishop Kenny jr Michael Wallace posted a very fast 15:19, a mark which was only improved upon in increments as the other classes competed. He held off the efforts of Estero runner-up Erick Montoya (15:22) to lead his BK team to a third place showing with 96 pts.
- Wallace's female counterparts at Bishop Kenny followed the top ten finishes of juniors Sarah Davis (4th 18:24) and Jamie Heekin (11th 18:59) to turn back Jacksonville rivals Bolles, 46 to 60, and take the girls 2A title.
- Pope John Paul II soph Stephanie Schappert took individual laurels in 18:10 to defeat Immokalee sr Joane Pierre (18:13).
- Holy Trinity Academy sr Kayla Hale became just the fourth Floridian to win 4 state XC titles, following Ashley Brasovan who accomplished the task earlier in the day. Her 17:45 winner was 13 seconds ahead of runner-up Nicole Carpio (17:58) of Westminster Christian.
- Community School Naples girls placed four in the top 8 to secure a 61 to 96 win over Hale's Holy Trinity Academy
- Maclay soph Patrick Swain prevailed over Holy Trinity sr Brett Butler, 15:51 to 15:56, for the boys individual title, but Butler combined with 4th place teammate Tyler Truitt (16:00) to lead his Holy Trinity team to a narrow 51-54 victory over Trinity Prep.