CT #1's Danbury & Glastonbury put on pack running clinic
Class L Highlights
- Class L - Amity boys 51 over Conard 78, E.O. Smith girls 94 over Simsbury 120
- Class LL - Danbury boys 44 over Shelton 89, Glastonbury girls 28 over Norwich Free Academy 81
- Class S - Bolton boys 76 over Thomaston 101, Portland girls 63 over Old Lyme 74
- Class SS - Weston boys 50 over Canton 106, East Hampton girls 49 over Ellington 64
- Class M - Tolland boys 67 over New Fairfield 85, New Fairfield girls 75 over Griswold 112
- Class MM - Daniel Hand boys 65 over Darien 89, Guildford girls 42 over Wilton 61
Class LL Highlights
- Mohamed Hrezi (Naugatuck) takes a close battle with Amity’s Ryan Laemel, taking first by 2 seconds 16:19 – 16:21
- Amity puts four runners over the finishline before runnerup Conard can get three over, to power to victory
- Who says you need a low placer to win? E.O. Smith’s first runner, Katie Moynihan, crosses the finish in 12th to lead team to the championship.
- Naugatuck also claims girls individual title to go with boys', as Rosa Moriello takes the crown by 9 seconds
Class S Highlights
- Danbury packs four runners within 8 seconds and all five scorers over the finishline in 27 seconds to take top team honors over Shelton. Originally Danbury had places 5-6-7-8-9, all within 10 seconds but the top finisher was DQ’d for a uniform violation
- Shelton’s Richard Stoliker II wins by 8 seconds, running 16:19.
- Kristen Malloy (Glastonbury) is the only runner to crack the 19:00 barrier, running 18:34 to win over teammate Lindsay Crevoiserat by 40 seconds.
- Glastonbury puts three runners in the top five and all five scorers in the top fifteen for the easy win.
Class SS Highlights
- Justin Missey-Higgins (St Bernard) is only runner to break the 17:00 barrier, just dipping under to win in 16:59.
Missey-Higgins’s first, and his teammate Joe Massad's 3rd, is not enough to stop Bolton from taking the team crown.
- A 1-2 finish by Moria Kenny and Katie Collins of Immaculate cannot stop Portland from taking the team honors
Class M Highlights
- A strong top four (3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th) power Weston to a 56 point win
- Chris Reynolds (Suffield) comes home first with a 13-second winning margin
- With two tight packs (3rd, 4th and 12th,14th,16th) East Hampton earns a 15-point victory.
- Kellie Walker (North Branford) builds up a 26 second cushion on her way to the individual crown.
Class MM Highlights
- Tolland and New Fairfield were almost equal after each team had 2 runners in, and there was little difference between each team’s 4th and 5th runners. When Tolland’s 3rd man, Bryan Fowler, finished 6th that would be the difference and lock up the team title.
- New Fairfield did get a title when John Raneri nipped Tolland’s Ryan King 16:22- 16:23
- Nonnewaug’s Jackie Nicholes is the only girl under 20:00, claiming gold in 19:41.
- New Fairfield puts 4 runners in before Griswold’s #3 to cruise to girls win
- James Moen (Brookfield) holds off Sean Nestor (Daniel Hand) by 4 seconds to claim individual crown. Nestor’s runner-up finish leads 3 other teammates into the top 20 and the team title
- A 29-second gap for its first 4 runners lifts Guilford to a 20 point girls win
- Caroline McDonough (Darien) runs away with the individual title, taking first by 32 seconds
Of the three Metro states, Connecticut is the first to begin its state meet process. This weekend the divisional championships take place at Wickham Park in Manchester. The top two teams, based upon point total, receive as an automatic bid to the State Open on Friday October 31, 2008. The State Open will also include eight additional teams decided by having the fastest team times across all divisions. In a division, any team ranked higher in place scoring than team advanced to the Open based on time will also advance. Individual qualifiers for the Open Meet will include the top twelve runners in each division plus the thirty fastest runners overall on time beyond the automatic qualifiers
All Divisional Championship races will be held at:
Wickham Park, Manchester, CT
Saturday, October 25, 2008
(Weather Date -- Sunday, October 26 and/or Monday, October 27)
Girls starting times for each race will be:
L Division - 9:30 a.m.
LL Division - 10:35 a.m.
S Division - 11:40 a.m.
SS Division - 1:15 p.m.
M Division - 2:20 p.m.
MM Division - 3:25 p.m.
Boys starting times for each race will be:
L Division - 10:05 a.m.
LL Division - 11:10 a.m.
S Division - 12:15 p.m.
SS Division - 1:50 p.m.
M Division - 2:55 p.m.
MM Division - 4:00 p.m.
The BOYS AND GIRLS STATE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP will be held at Wickham Park, Manchester, CT on Friday, October 31, 2008
(Weather Date -- Saturday, November 1, 2008)
Girls starting time for the race will be 2:00 p.m. with the Boys starting time of be 2:45 p.m