the entire AOC
Raleigh story in words and pix:
Ari Lambie - Sam Vazquez
- Red Bank NJ girls - Winslow Twp NJ boys - Theodore Ginn and Glenville
OH boys - Shana Cox - Katya Kostetskaya - Scott Sellers - Erica McLain
- Andy Fryman - Davidson Hilliard OH boys - Saratoga NY girls - Christian
Wagner - Vineland NJ boys - Skyline Dallas TX girls - Bay Shore NY girls
- Juanita Broaddus
On-site coverage by John Dye, Donna Dye, Derek Dye, Steve
Underwood, Conrad Haber, Ricky Quintana, Pete Cava, and Elliot Denman.
& Pix | Donna on the Side | Results
Friday | Complete Results: BOYS - GIRLS
| 463 DyeStat Elite marks |
| Stories: Pete
Cava boys: Friday - Saturday
| Elliott Denman girls: Friday - Saturday
| SteveU's Distance Report: Friday - Saturday
| Previews | Entries
| Schedule | Prior Years
| the meet's own
web site |
SMR: In one of the most thrilling races of the meet, 6 Vineland
holds off 7 Mt. Tabor NC by 0.01 with top 4 finishers hitting the top
15 all time list. - photo
by Victah Sailer, PhotoRun
G-100 finalists push off. photo by Conrad
- Glenville OH boys 1:28.95 800 SMR, breaking
the national record of Wheeler GA (1:29.68 in March 2003) and
fulfilling their expectations “to do something big.".
Theodore Ginn anchored this effort, and then
upset Kerron Clement and Jason Richardson, ranked 1-2 in the country,
in the 110m hurdles in 13.62.
- Red Bank NJ girls 11:37.86 DMR for a new national
record, breaking the 11:41.28 standard of the Ale Barrientos-led
San Lorenzo Valley CA team at the Penn Relays in 2000.
- Ari Lambie humbles "the best girls mile
field ever" in 4:39.05, a meet record and the 3rd best ever
by US high school girls, with a 10-second margin over last year's
champion, Megan Kaltenbach.
- Sam Vazquez 4:03.87 toppled both Steve Magness
and Chris Solinsky in "the best boys mile field ever"
with a 57-second last lap. Solinsky, who took the lead on the
backstretch, was second in 4:05.30. Jeff See
of Middletown OH was third in 4:06.07, taking the sophomore class
record held by Alan Webb, who in turn took it from Jim Ryun in
1999. Seven runners ran under 4:08.
- Katya Kostetskaya dominated Heidi Magill, best
in the US the last 2 years, to win the girls 800m in 2:05.95,
best in the US this year.
- Shana Cox doubled 200/400 over stellar fields
in 23.24 and 52.94.
- Ohio 800m champion Derrick Hoye 1:50.34 hammered
the field throughout and held off the late charge of John Richardson
- Skyline Dallas girls 3:38.35 4x400 beat Miami
Northwestern by 8 seconds and became the first Texas team to run
- Winslow NJ boys 3:10.47 won the 4x400 with
a fabulous anchor by Antraye Miles coming from third place for
their third relay win of the meet ( 1:24.49 4x200 and 40.92 4x100).
- Scott Sellers TX edged Mike Morrison
in high jump by clearing 7-3.25 on his first try. Morrison
made it on his second try, and both missed three times at 7-5.
- Andy Fryman completed a throws double by winning
the discus at 192-6. He won the shot put Friday night at 65-6.25.
- 4xMile - In the cool of Saturday morning, early
rising runners competed in the rarely run 4xMile relays. The winners
were Davidson Hilliard OH boys, despite Steve
Magness' 4:06.7 anchor split for FMR Klein TX. Magness got the
stick in 7th place and burned himself out with 56.5 first lap
that carried him into third place. But he could not catch Davidson's
Chris Nichols, who finished in 4:11.3 to fulfill a seasonal goal
of the Hilliard OH crew. Saratoga Springs NY,
despite missing Nicole Blood due to a hamstring injury, won the
girls race easily.. steveu's distance
- Willie Hordge wins 100 in first race back from
- Christian Wagner shows the country his Hoosier
- Cardinal O'Hara PA wins loaded 4x800
- Skyline Dallas TX girls 1:35.65 beat national
record holder Alief Elsik TX 1:36.26.
- Winslow Twp NJ boys 1:24.29 become third fastest
team ever, with two more teams under 1:25 (Glenville OH 1:24.77
and Reagan Austin TX 1:24.89)
- Vineland NJ runs 6th fastest 1600 SMR ever
(3:22.75) as Matt DeBole's 1:50+ anchor falls 0.01 short for Mt.
Tabor NC (3:22.76 US#7 all time). Deep Creek VA 3:23.15 and Willingboro
NJ 3:23.56 also hit all time list in Jack Shepard's HIGH
SCHOOL TRACK record book.
- Andy Fryman KY 65-06.25 adds outdoor crown
to his Nike Indoor shot put title.
- Juanita Broaddus PA smokes stellar 100m field.
- Sunni Olding OH edges Katie Harrington in 2-mile.
- Tianna Madison OH 20-07.25 hits US#1 long jump
- Bay Shore NY girls end Bronxville's 4x800 record
bid by posting US#3 all time mark themselves (8:53.26).
- Penn Relays champion Lindsay Grigoriev MD wins
discus at 153-4.
After 13 years, AOC has become the
biggest post-season meet, with the most entries (nearly 2,000
this year) and the most events. The meet managers, the National
Scholastic Sports Foundation, bill AOC as "the nation's premier
high school outdoor event." US#1 bragging rights and even
national records will be on the line this year. AOC
new distance peak? - You might have
thought the high school distance running resurgence peaked 2
years ago with the graduation of Alan Webb, Dathan Ritzenhein,
and Ryan Hall. You would have been wrong. Meet managers are
calling this year's AOC boys mile field the best ever assembled,
and the girls mile features Ari Lambie, who ran 4:37.23, US#3
all time, in the Massachusetts state meet June 7.
Carter - like father, like daughter.
Michelle and dad Michael are the first parent-child pair to hold
national HS records.
- Pete Cava's event by event analysis
- Ricky Quintana's event by event analysis
Years on DyeStat
- 2002 -
3 national records: Auburn WA boys 7:32.89 4x800, Bronxville
NY girls 20:11.56 4-mile relay, and Molly Huddle NY
10:01.08 2-mile. Sprint doubles by Kelly Willie TX
and Sanya Richards FL.
- Alan Webb leads South Lakes VA 9:49.78
to USR in DMR and near miss 7:35.33 in 4x800. Heat and humidity foil
Dathan Ritzenhein 8:44.43 in bid for 2-mile record.
- 2000 - Dathan
Ritzenhein MI wins "clash of the titans" 2-mile in
8:48.06 and then beats Donald Sage again on anchor
in the 4-mile relay the next morning. California boys repeat 1-2-3 finish
of California Southern Section in mile -- Ryan Hall,
Ryan Bousquet, and Josh Spiker. Western
girls, future Stanford runners all three, go 1-2-3 in girls 2 mile --
Anita Siraki CA, Alicia Craig WY,
and Sara Bei CA. Rockford MI wins
both 4-mile relays.
- 1999 -
Rockford MI sweeps distance medleys. Brendan
Mahoney 4:04.78 outkicks Alan Webb 4:06.94
in the mile, but Webb beats Jim Ryun's sophomore record in a precursor
of the future. Northwestern MD boys 3:11.12 complete
a dream year in 4x400 and double in the 4x800 in 7:42.25, plus their
anchor James Graham beats Rickey Harris in
the 400m hurdles.
- O.D. Wyatt TX boys break 40 seconds and 1:24. New
Jersey Barber twins sweep girls 100, 200, and 400.Ato
Modibo MD doubles 21.11 and 46.09. Jim Autenreith TX
wins pole vault on one jump.