Michigan runner dies in auto accident
4/22/2005 -- Fremont MI sr Riley Klingel was killed in an auto accident on his way to school today. Klingel was named Mr. Michigan Cross Country by the coaches association as the leading senior. He finished second behind Foot Locker national finalist Dan Roberts at both the Portage Invitational and the Michigan state meet Division 2. Visitation and services are at the Wesleyan Church in Fremont Monday and Tuesday.
|Top 2-milers from 10 states will run at East High School in Salt Lake City tonight at 6 pm Mountain time, with live TV on the local CBS station.
|a conversation with Gerry Lindgren and Jeff Nelson
Gerry Lindgren was an idol. I'm in awe now just talking to him on the phone. -- Jeff Nelson.
Still the national record holders in the boys 2-mile after all these years, Gerry Lindgren (class of 1964) and Jeff Nelson (class of 1979) will meet for the first time at Salt Lake City Friday (4/22) at the Gerry Lindgren Invitational, a special 2-mile race featuring 20 top runners from 10 states. Lindgren and Nelson spoke to each other for the first time in a conference call recently and talked about why there was such a drought in HS distance running since their era and what it would take for someone to break their records now.
Stat of the Week - John Sullivan is a track nut who can't get enough track stats. He cranks out lists for his own amusement -- and now he can amuse you as well. Boys 2-Mile Record Progression - In 1964, Gerry Lindgren was the first to break 9 minutes. Then, Jeff Nelson in 1979 was the first (and still the only one) to go under 8:40.
546 College Choices
National Letter of Intent signing period ends first week. The National Letter of Intent signing period for the high school class of 2005 runs from April 13 to August 1. We will have updated our College Choices 2005 lists and now have 546 choices as of April 22. PIctures too. Send information on choices to John Dye, giving name, high school, event, college, and a way to verify. Some significant choices we haven't reported previously:
- Leeandrea Robinson TX hurdles/jumps - Houston
- Jonathon Gulley TX pole vault - Houston
- Derek Scott CA, US#1 in pole vault, commits to Southern California and then tears his ACL in practice and is out for the season.
- Bryan Scotland NJ mid-distance - Pennsylvania
- Bever-leigh Holloway MD sprints/hurdles - Ohio State
- Robbie Barany WA distance - Notre Dame
- Kate Mattoon CA pole vault - Notre Dame
- Tara Lenn AL distance - US Naval Academy
- Sean McNamara IL distance - Michigan
- Andrew Jesien MD distance - Virginia
- Matt Maloney RI throws - Oregon
- Megan Maloney RI throws - Oregon
at last, a track for Mervo Tech
Mergenthaler Vocational Technical High School in Baltimore ("Mervo Tech") has turned out top athletes for years without a track of its own. That changed Saturday (4/16) with the first Freddie Hendricks Track Festival, the first meet on Mervo Tech's new track. The meet was named in honor of former coach Freddie Hendricks, who overcame the lack of facilities for 40 years before retiring last year. Hendricks' top product was 1996 graduate James Carter, US champion 400m hurdler last year and fourth in the last two Olympic Games.
News items posted to DyeStat in the week ending April 21
- AL - Mountain Brook Invitational - Birmingham - Mobile champ Cullman AL sr E.C. Gibbs doubles 1:51.83 (Hoover sr Scott Novack 1:52.35) and 4:18.52 1600m. Spain Park AL sr Patrick Wells 15-5 PV.
- AL Auburn quad - Opelika AL jr Zachary Clayton 196-2 DT US#4.
- AR Lake Hamilton Classic - Evan VanDolah doubles 13.9h 110H and 37.5h 300H. Spencer McCorkel 15-9 PV.
- CA DyeStatCal has all the news from the Golden State
CA -- Mt. SAC Relays - Walnut CA.- DyeStatCal coverage
Three US#1 marks and 87 DyeStat Elite performances. US#1 times by Dorsey Los Angeles 3:27.81 SMR, Loyola Los Angeles 10:05.21 DMR and Kira Robinson 13.74 +1.2 100H. Dorsey also wins 41.04 4x100 over Poly Long Beach while Poly doubles 1:27.43 4x200 and 3:17.10 4x400. Other doubles by Danny Rohr 59-6.25 SP and 192-4 DT, Ebony Collins 11.57 +2.4 100m and 41.80 300H US#2, Marie Lawrence 4:52.05 mile US#2 and 16:59.92 5000m, Sabrina Nettey 20-3.25 LJ and 40-6.25 TJ, Wilson Long Beach girls 45.73 4x100 and 1:38.74 4x200, and Rancho Cucamonga girls 3:46.89 4x400 and 4:05.25 SMR.
- CA Cordova dual - Cordova sr Brysun Stately clears 13-0.25 for US#3 pole vault.
- CA - Inland Empire Championships - Rancho Verde High School - Murrieta Valley boys 83, J.W. North Riverside girls 83.5 (Rancho Verde 76), J.W. North Riverside sr Lorraine King 44.22 300H, Rancho Verde girls 47.62 4x100, Chapparal NV sr Dana Jensen 11-6 PV, J.W. North's Nevin Gutierrez 48.29 400m, Rancho Verde's Josh Como 47-5.25 TJ
- CA Woody Wilson Classic - UC Davis - Oakridge soph Alex Kosinski 10:35.68 3200m, Cordova's Bryson Stately 12-9 PV, Laguna Creek soph Nicole Williams 5-9 HJ, Franklin Stockton jr Zuheir Sharif 47-11.5 -1.2 TJ, Vintage sr Fletcher Carlyle 6-8 HJ, Vacaville sr Jamie Feaster 15-1 PV, Modesto jr Erin Lewis 4:59.37 1600m, Fairfield girls 3:54.05 4x400.
- CO Denver Public Schools Conference - Montbello Denver sr Chelsea Taylor 20-4 LJ US#1.
- GA Dekalb County Championships
Redan boys and Southwest Dekalb girls win team titles.
Girls -- Cross Keys soph Porche Byrd 55.44 400m. Redan sr Aleesha Barber doubles 14.73 100H and 44.01 300H. Redan 48.19 4x100. SW Dekalb 3:49.40 4x400.
Boys -- Redan sr Justin Oliver doubles 21.48 200m and 47.69 400m. Redan 3:14.68 4x400 US#4. SW Dekalb 41.69 4x100.
- KS -- Kansas Week by Anthony Bozarth -
57th K.T. Woodman Relays - Alex Pyle 6-8, Odell Harris doubles 10.58 and 22.13, Wichita Heights KS 7:57.39 4x800, Kayla Smith 43-4 SP, Kate Schaake 139-3 DT, Alysha Valencia doubles 5:18.15 1600m and 10:53.16 3200m. Wichita Southeast 48.50 4x100. Laura Hewitt 137-7 JT.
- KS - Kansas Relays - Apr 21-23 at U. of Kansas - entries now posted
- IN -- 6th Midwest Prep Invitational - Host Lawrence Central IN sweeps team honors. Lawrence Central sr Jeanne Roberts 11.90 100m, Northrop Fort Wayne IN sr Shauntel Elcock 55.40 400m, Danville IN sr Wendi Robinson doubles 4:57.53 1600m and 10:55.97 3200m, Evanston IL jr Shalina Clarke triples 14.33 100H, 41.41 300H and 25.25p 200m, Lawrence Central 48.24 4x100, Lawrence Central sr Will Glover doubles 10.65 and 22.29, Warren Central jr Joey Hodges 14.29 110H, Lawrence Central's Dwayne Briscoe 58-8.5 SP .
- KY - Invitational of the South - Marshall County HS - Rossview TN girls and Paducah Tilghman boys win team titles. Owensboro sr Mary Chris Durham 11-6 PV.
- LA Liberty Lundy Classic - Tad Gormley Stadium, New Orleans - St. Augustine boys dominate, winning all three relays (42.32, 1:26.45 and 3:19.60). Karjuan Williams ran on the winning 4x200 and 4x400 relays and set meet records of 1:51.04 800m and 39.81 300H. More meet records were set by St. Aug's Ryan Montague 10.61, Shyron Champagne 48.07, and Mark Spooner 23-1.
- MD - 1st Freddie Hendricks Invitational - Mervo Tech High School - first meet on Mervo's new track.
Boys - Dematha Catholic MD 79.
Girls - Western Baltimore 82. Western jr Theresa Lewis 14.08 100H. Defending Penn Relays 400H champion Nicole Leach, of West Catholic Philadelphia PA, won her specialty in 1:00.29 (she is already US#1 this season at 59.31). West Catholic PA doubled 47.80 4x100 (Western Baltimore 48.29) and 3:50.32 4x400. Western Baltimore MD 1:41.28 4x200
- MD - Cougar Relays - Devil Takes the Hindmost race is featured - Andrew Jesien wins in 17 laps. Walter Johnson girls, Gaithersburg boys win team titles.
- MO - Capital City Relays - Jefferson City - Rolla jr Chantae McMillan 19-11 LJ.
- NC - Queen City Relays - Charlotte - West Charlotte boys triples 41.9 4x100, 1:28.3 4x200 and 3:25.6 4x400. Ridgeview SC girls double 48.1 4X100 and 1:43.3 4x200
- ND - Charlie Denton Relays - Century Bismarck's Abbey Effertz doubled 43-11.5 SP and 144-6 DT.
- NJ New Jersey Week by Ed Grant - Shaquan Brown, Bryant McCombs ready to go. CBA, Colts Neck boys prep for Penn Relays
- NV Smith Valley sr Jordan Savidge 16-3 PV, US#4t and a Nevada state record.
NY Mayor's Cup - Icahn Stadium, Randalls Island, NYC - Msgr Farrell boys, Truman girls win team titles. Big fields (more than 400 in some events).
Boys - Msgr Farrell NY 48. August Martin NY sr James Blocker 6-8 HJ. Msgr Farrell NY sr Brian Duggan 15-6 PV.
Girls - Truman NY 20.5. Middle College NY 47.34 4x100. Truman NY 3:55.75 4x400.
NY - Red Raider Relays North Rockland HS
MVPs are Lynne Layne for a sprint double and John Hickey for a throws double. left, girls 800m, won by Somers jr Mary Alice Howard 2:19.32.
- OH Elyria jr Christina Madison is out the season with a broken leg, which happened while long jumping Saturday (4/16). The younger sister of U. Tennessee star Tianna Madison ws the Ohio indoor long jump champion this year. [Jeff Branhan]
- OH Federal League, North Canton - Hoover North Canton sr Ashley Muffett 48-5.5 SP goes to US#1.
- OH -- Mansfield Mehock Relays - Mansfield OH - Willard OH sr Michaela Danhoff 43-7.25 SP, Middletown OH sr Jeff See doubles 1:54.50 800m and 4:11.73 1600m (Tony Jordanek 4:14.51, Dan Roberts MI 4:14.97), Glenville Cleveland OH doubles 1:28.40 4x200 and 3:24.21 4x400
- OK Oklahoma Week by Phil Price - At U. of Oklahoma -- Tulsa Union jr Danielle Gilchrist doubled 14.31 +1.4 100H and 43.96 300H. At Ken Hogan Inv, Moore OK -- Westmoore sr Cory Summers doubled 57-2 SP and 173-10 DT.
- PA - Pennsylvania Week by Don Rich - Amy Backel 141-0 JT. Ryan Whiting doubles, of course. Craig Miller wins negative split 1600m. Quads by Nicole Smith (5-9 HJ, 19-6 LJ, 40-.5 TJ, and 15.0 110H) and Erin Hannon ( 5-8 HJ, 17-1.75 LJ, 38-2 TJ and 15.21 100H). Osayi Osunde 200-1.5 JT.
PA Week - Northern York's Amy Backel 141-9 JT
- RI - LaSalle Academy tri - LaSalle sr Matt Maloney 212-2 JT, a new Rhode Island and New England record. Matt and his twin sister Megan will throw for the U. of Oregon next year.
- SD Brandon Valley Invitational - Lincoln Sioux Falls sr Sayfe Jassim 47.9h 400m is 2nd fastest ever in South Dakota.
- TN -- Germantown Invitational - Bolton TN jr Rob Sorrell, winner of the Mobile mile 2 weeks ago, tripled in 90 minutes: 4:16.17 1600m, 1:57.08 800m and 9:31.54 3200m, with only 15 minutes between the 800 and the 3200. Cordova TN sr Simeon Harris 37.73 300H.
- TX -- Texas Relays - 188 DyeStat Elite performances - 2nd only to Arcadia for this outdoor season.
- TX -- Texas districts -
227 DyeStat Elite performances in 5A and 4A
Four new US leaders - Cinco Ranch Katy now has four US#1 marks - D'Andra Carter is US#1 in both SP and DT. Top three advance to regionals instead of top two. New US leaders:
- Cinco Ranch sr Quieto Teasley 25-3.5 LJ
- Carter Dallas 40.89 4x100t
- Plano West sr Erin Bedell 4:45.35 1600m
- Red Oak TX sr D’Andra Carter 47-8.75 SP (she is already US#1 in DT)
- VA -- Peninsula Relays - Bethel 3:53.26 4x400.
- VA - Scudieri Team Challenge - Potomac VA sr Kharya Brown doubles 11.79 100m and 24.19 200m. Towson Catholic MD sr Rokesha Williams doubles 14.33 100H and 44.90 300H.
- VA Apple Blossom Invitational - Winchester - Fauquier sr Sarah Bowman 4:48.34 1600m US#3.
- WA - Bellarmine tri - After winning the Arcadia mile, Bellarmine sr Brie Felnagle ran 2:07.9 800m US#5 on a wet, cold, windy day
- WA Greater Spokane League tri - West Valley Spokane sr Rashad Toussaint 50-8.75 TJ nwi..
Galen Rupp trying to run for Oregon
The Associated Press reports that Galen Rupp, the 2004 high school track and field athlete of the year, has hired a law firm to help get NCAA clearance for him to join the University of Oregon track team. The firm submitted documentation to show that Rupp has not compromised his amateur status while training with Alberto Salazar and the Nike-funded Oregon Project. Rupp enrolled at Oregon recently after track coach Martin Smith resigned and Mead Spokane WA coach Pat Tyson was retained as a volunteer distance coach. [more]
ON THE SIDE
AT ARCADIA - 350 photos
|at the meet - lots of action in the crowd and on the sidelines
Before the meet
Donna takes time to smell the flowers, and she also finds a peacock, movie sets, mountain views, and good food.